Oops. Crap. What to do now?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
BigJ, I'm already in bed, but i just saw your earlier post.... if you still need those measurements tomorrow morning I can grab them for you.
Yesplease!

Ok then, here she is:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Some initial thoughts:
-overall, and all things considered, he did a fantastic job. I have zero regrets going this route. I absolutely love the form, and the function!

-no spare :( It just flat wouldn't fit. We talked about the hitch spare carrier and he's going to get me details and numbers soon. I might also look into a smaller tire for emergencies, just to see.

-I dig where be put the plate! Its just zip tied there for now, but I think that's a good spot

-He put a "racing stripe" along the bottoms of the cut edges of the sheet metal, that works perfectly; its a u-shaped peice of rubber edging. But there's no way its staying on there for any length of time. It slides right off with barely any pressure, so no doubt it won't survive the trip home with me. I'll run a tiny bead of silicone in there and basically 'glue' it in place.

-he used a semi gloss paint. I had asked for a flat black textured paint, but he didn't have any. I eventually plan to powder it anyway, so no biggie.

-the damage that sparked all this in the first place is obviously still there. I knew that going in, and no I don't have any regrets, but its just a tiny bummer the creases weren't a bit lower so he could have hacked them off. Ah well... she's got a battle scar that she'll wear proudly ;)

I'll get the measurements on how much higher the hitch is now, as well as do the math on the old vs new departure angle. I wouldn't be surprised though if its almost doubled just based on eyeballin it.

Last edited:

vanilla_gorilla

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Looks great man, love it. Just fyi on your idea of maybe getting a smaller spare, it will cause issues with your diffs, with a 35 on one side, and let's say a 33 on the other. The two sides are going to rotate at different speeds working your diff.

I normally don't run a spare, just because, but on long trips. How about getting something fabricated to go into your hitch to hold the spares for your "expiditions", and then for local driving just carry a can of goo. Just ideas.

But damn, your rig looks fantastic. Can't wait to see it in person.

Raptizzle

FYT
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks so much more aggressive J! I've always been a fan of the single tube and had mine done in phases to where that's how I ran mine for a good month. Seeing yours has me considering going back to this route.

Regarding the edging he put on your bedside cuts, I was able to find some from o'rileys that fits real snug and hasn't fallen off or come loose for the past 5 months or so... I have two extra strips that are the the perfect length. If you're still in Costa Mesa, I'd gladly give them to ya...

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
VG: Yeah you're right on about the tire size and diff issue. But if I didn't lock the rear, wouldn't it maybe be ok for a couple hundred miles tops to get me out of an emergency situation? What do ya think?

Tiz: Thanks for the offer! I'm here in the morning for just a little bit longer then I'm due back here tonight at some point, but I have no idea when. I have no problem buying some from ORiely's though; do you remember the exact size/brand/part number? Or if you're willing, maybe you can leave them for me at the hotel's desk? I'm at the Ramada off Superior, in room 338. Either way, thanks for the info! Going with something that fits tighter is a better idea I think than siliconing.

And also, thanks for leading the way on this mod. I (we) owe ya serious props on this; beyond looking badass, it also solves a real problem many of us who like to light-crawl in our Raptors have. Your efforts ended up allowing me to get this done so quickly and smoothly. Great job!!

vanilla_gorilla

FRF Addict
Reaction score
On the rear axle, you could, but i was told a long time ago, if i had to do that, do it on the front wheels and do not allow 4wheel drive. But i am far from an expert or even a guy that knows enough, i just remember being told that once when i was running 35s on my GMC and no spare, just the stock 31" spare, so i took it off and hoped for the best. :)

---------- Post added at 07:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:16 AM ----------

Oh, and need some day time shots when you get a chance.:peace:.

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
On the rear axle, you could, but i was told a long time ago, if i had to do that, do it on the front wheels and do not allow 4wheel drive. But i am far from an expert or even a guy that knows enough, i just remember being told that once when i was running 35s on my GMC and no spare, just the stock 31" spare, so i took it off and hoped for the best. :)

---------- Post added at 07:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:16 AM ----------

Oh, and need some day time shots when you get a chance.:peace:.
Roger that. Thanks for the info.

As for pics? Careful what you wish for ;) Today is all about RPG. Upper control arms, tie rod ends, Truxxx is getting replaced by the 2nd perch mod, fixing the blown rear shock... oh yeah, pics are a'comin in a big big way. Stay tuned.... :D

vanilla_gorilla

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Roger that. Thanks for the info.

As for pics? Careful what you wish for ;) Today is all about RPG. Upper control arms, tie rod ends, Truxxx is getting replaced by the 2nd perch mod, fixing the blown rear shock... oh yeah, pics are a'comin in a big big way. Stay tuned.... :D

AWESOME!!!!! I cannot wait, your threads are always "must reads"!!!

And can i get a seedling from your "Money Tree"? :)

Deinonychus

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That rear bumper is a radical look.
It definitely has the off-road look - good choice.

And now the RPG upper control arms and tie-rods? Do you ever come up for air??!!

Raptizzle

FYT
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, what did you do to John, Big J! I was supposed to drop my truck off there this morning and now his phone is off. Probably deserving of a late start this morning though...