Normal cruise not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rangerrwh

Reaction score
2020 Raptor Screw. Relocated my adaptive cruise control due to a bumper upgrade. Adaptive cruise control worked for 200 miles, then it stopped while going 75. Pulled grill back down and saw that my wiring harness was rubbing the back of the grill and exposed one of the wires from the 8way connector that plugs into the ACC. Now I get pre collision not available warning and when I go to the Cruise control option on my dash display it is “grayed” out and won’t let me change the selection ACC to normal cruise. Thus, when I press my steering wheel cruise buttons, nothing happens. I am waiting on a new harness but has anyone experienced this before? Could this be a bigger issue like a short somewhere from the wire being exposed? I checked the applicable fuse and was good to go. No other warnings or check engine light. Weird that I can’t select “normal” cruise or that cruise won’t come on at all when I press the cruise button on my steering wheel? Any help would be awesome.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Definitely repair / replace the harness. While you’re waiting, check for diagnostic trouble codes and see what’s stored.

John813

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I read that if the adaptive cruise control isn't working due to the sensor/harness then the system just shuts off cruise control.
Was one of the main reasons for me holding off on another bumper.

Knock on wood, closing in on 4k miles+offroading/jumping with no issues.

Get the harness replaced and hopefully that solves it.

sc85fiero

Reaction score
There are more modules involved in adaptive cruise control then just the CCM. Specifically, the ABS module and image processing module "A" (IPMA) play a big part in normal cruise control operation and certain DTCs, when set, can deactivate cruise control altogether. This is what most likely happened as the wiring harness that chafed contains the private communication network between the CCM and IPMA as well as the power and ground for the CCM.

At this point its highly suggested to replace the harness, clear ALL DTCs and retest as it will likely be fixed.

-Joe

OP
OP
R

Rangerrwh

Reaction score
Joe
Put a new harness. All codes are clear but pre collision and acc or normal cruise will not come on. As soon as I start the truck I get a warning that pre collision is not available.

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Joe
Put a new harness. All codes are clear but pre collision and acc or normal cruise will not come on. As soon as I start the truck I get a warning that pre collision is not available.
Any time you remove and reinstall the CCM it needs to be calibrated. It likely has a DTC set to indicate that the calibration is incomplete.

sc85fiero

Reaction score
Any time you remove and reinstall the CCM it needs to be calibrated. It likely has a DTC set to indicate that the calibration is incomplete.
+1 for this, and also make sure you are using a scan tool that can communicate with ALL modules, not just a generic OBD 2 tool.
If you do have a good scan tool what are your DTCs?

-Joe

OP
OP
R

Rangerrwh

Reaction score
Hey Joe. Thanks for the reply(s) and assistance. I am using a cheap over the counter code reader. Any suggestions on a good scanner to use? Will FORScan suffice?

OP
OP
R

Rangerrwh

Reaction score
Just tried my STC programmer and it showed no DTC codes. Would orient/autozone’s scanner see the DTCs you mentioned? Do you think when the harness was damaged near the 8 way connector that plugs into the CCM it fried the CCM?

sc85fiero

Reaction score
Forscan will work. A generic code reader will only read a limited number of modules and codes so that's why you're not seeing anything with it.

I highly doubt the CCM would have been damaged by the wiring harness chafe, it is an 8 pin connector but it really only has 4 wires going to it. Power, ground, and 2 private communication network wires to the IPMA is it. Not much can happen to the module there.

-Joe

Last edited: