GEN 2 No zerk fitting on U joint?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

91Eunos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m working on a friend’s 06’ Taco, replacing U joints and the center bearing, and seeing the condition of this one on her truck:

i-fK9NCrz-4K.jpg

…inspired me to go look at the U-joints on my Raptor as well. Much to my surprise, there’s no grease fitting on either U-joint. WTF?

It’s obviously not a huge concern, as my truck’s gone 100K miles and as far as I know these are still the original U-joints on my truck; I know I haven’t replaced them.

Has anyone else noticed there aren’t any grease fittings on their U-joints, or is it just a matter of my truck being an early Gen 2 model? 2018MY, built in late 2017.

Also, has anyone replaced theirs? If so, what brand/type did you use?

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A lot of good that Grease fitting on the Taco did. That U-joint is wasted. Bet it has never been greased in the first place.

I would be curious if that is an OEM ujoint.
Ford, GM, Chrysler and pretty much every manufacturer I can think of hasn't had greasable ujoints, tie rod ends, or ball joints for 30 years.

The occasional greasable driveline slip joint is about it, and those are rare.

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having been a been a LONG time Toyota guy (4runners/FJs), all U/slip joints had zerks. Every 5k oil change/tire rotation/bump of grease to the zerks. All 4 units went over 150k with zero failures/replacements. Actually zero mechanical failures of any kind less a front wheel bearing on the unit that spent the most time in the rocks. I was equally surprised first time I slipped under the Ford.

Side note, aftermarket UCAs all also got bumps of energy suspension lube at the same time. Never had to replace one of those poly bushings either.

<edit> No wear failures… of course I broke some shit on the rocks doing heavy footed shit.

Last edited: