Nitto Ridge Grappler vs. BFG Ko2’s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnkn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wizo is running 35x12.50x20s on aftermarket wheels with an offset greater than stock as I recall so I'm sure he will respond. My Nittos are the stock size (315x70x17) and are sitting in my garage until I can get them mounted this week. By all I've read, they are virtually the same dimensions as the stock KO2s, but weigh a little more....

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Feel = The tires are a little heavier feeling and bulkier. They seem to take a little more effort to get them up to speed and to turn them vs. the KO2. These are very small differences but I can feel it.

Sound = They are a little more louder and you can hear them vs. did not hear anything with the KO2 tires.

Vibrations and driving it. The KO2 tires definitely had a shudder to them (they never had this issue in the past) but we tried 2 sets and both came out the same. This was after road forcing them. The new Nitto have almost none and its much more smoother for sure.

Good summary. The weight (+10 lbs in each corner) is precisely why I couldn't consider Nitto or Toyo. The Coopers seem to perform better, from what I've seen, and are only 2lbs higher than the K02s. The weight and speed rating are about the only things the KO2 has going for them, other than marketing.

OP
OP
Wizo

Wizo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Currently I am running 20x10 wheels with -19 offset. The tires are 35x12.5x20inch.

They seem a tad wider than the KO2 in the same configuration.

Johnkn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
In the stock size, 315-70-17, the Ridge Grapplers (load range E) are less that 6 lbs heavier than the KO2 (load range C) while virtually the same overall dimension as the 35x12.5s

Johnkn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
yes, the RGs are advertised as being ~5.75 lbs heavier than the lighter duty KO2s. So they are heavier, but not by too much....

TigerRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Icon Rebounds + Ridge Grapplers 315/70/17 = Same Weight as Stock. Both are superior to the stock setup in my opinion. Ride and handling do not suffer if you run them at 36-38PSI.

I only got 17k out of my stock BFGs that were C rated. BFGs are a great tire with an E Rating. RGs have 7k miles on them and look like new.

Johnkn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Icon Rebounds + Ridge Grapplers 315/70/17 = Same Weight as Stock.

QUOTE]

While I haven't weighed the Nitto RGs sitting in my garage waiting to be mounted, their advertised weight is 6lbs heavier than the stock KO2s.

I question

I question all manufacturers specs until I put the stuff on my own scale and weigh them side by side.. the Nitto's are advertised as ~6 lbs heavier than the stock KO2s . IDK....

Last edited:

TigerRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I question all manufacturers specs until I put the stuff on my own scale and weigh them side by side.. the Nitto's are advertised as ~6 lbs heavier than the stock KO2s . IDK....

The RGs are 6lbs heavier but the Icon wheels are 5lbs lighter. So it was a wash for me to get a heavier tire. 1lb is not noticeable.

kpecks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bumping this thread for some additional feedback. I currently have 35x12.5x17 ridge grapplers. Just picked up some new 2019 take off rims and BFG tires. Getting the rims powder coated bronze and debating which tires to put back on. Ridge grapplers have about 5k miles on them. Do I run the BFGs for a while and then swap the ridge grapplers back on? I only plan on highway and city driving for the next several months with maybe some light offroading for hunting trips etc. Thoughts???