New Raptor - Beware!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cougarclaws

Reaction score
Hi All. I Love my 2012 Raptor, Ford made good on their 100K warranty and when my truck hit 95K, they replaced my completely wasted shocks. I drive 30 miles of dirt road everyday before hitting the highway, so normal Raptor owners may never need to replace theirs, but I wore mine out.

To get to the point of this...With my dirt roads, we need good vehicles. I just bought my wife a new Lariat with the FX4 package. She hates it! The shocks are terrible. I was told 2015 is the first year they are putting the same design of transfer case in the Lariat as in the new Raptor. If this is the case, I won't be buying one. Terrible vibrations when in 4A, grinding noises etc. Ford says this is normal. The dealer is perplexed and horrified as they know no one will want one. Realize the Lariat and the Raptor are actually used for the advertised purpose in our case, not just a pretty street ride or weekend warrior. We drive them like trucks EVERYDAY!

The dealer is hoping Ford steps up and fixes this mess before a recall as it is obvious there is something badly wrong. Some do it, and some do not out of all the ones they sold. I would never have paid 60K for this Lariat if I would have known. No truck should be vibrating through the floorboards and grinding starting at 600 miles. I am very disappointed in Ford and this may be the last I buy after spending over 300K in the last ten years on them. I hope they stand up and realize they have an issue, so I can enjoy the new Raptor when it releases. I am first on my dealers list when they come in...Will keep you all posted. Supposedly a Ford guy is coming out to drive the Lariat. We'll see. This NEW design going into the Raptor will be horrible in its present state. Cross your fingers!

OP
OP
cougarclaws

cougarclaws

Reaction score
Actually it was the Ford tech. 2015 is the first time the new transfer case/transmission combo that the new Raptor will have is being used in their trucks. I did not get ripped off. The MSRP was 60K, and can be higher if fully loaded. I actually got ours for 51K.

Perhaps you should try a little research... "The 2016 Raptor's transfer case will be able to switch to four-wheel when necessary for on-road duties via electronic clutches. When it's time to leave the pavement—or, indeed, the ground entirely—mechanical locks will kick in and provide solid, durable power transfer for that desert run or rock-crawling excursion. Ford tells us this is the first system of this kind." R&T. I don't post links, so feel free to look it up yourself.

Thanks for the "salesguy" comment....nice.

bmacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the "salesguy" comment....nice.

You're very welcome.

Edit: on a serious note, glad you didn't get ripped off. And I don't need to do research on a truck I'm not planning to purchase...

Last edited:
OP
OP
cougarclaws

cougarclaws

Reaction score
You are correct. The transmission will be the 10 speed. The transfer cases are the same. This appears to be where the issue is. There are quite a few complaints on this in other forums, you may want to do some research. I would never have bought the Lariat had I known. I did hear of a few issues with the hubs, and after replacement the owner was happy. We will see where this goes. At this point, my wife wants to go back to BMW and get rid of the Lariat. Her X1 BMW handled better on the dirt roads and would smoke the truck off road which is sad. If Ford doesn't fix this, we will go get her a BMW X4 knowing it's a better handling off-road vehicle than the Lariat. Honestly, I am hoping they fix this as my Raptor is amazing.

I do mean to say that this is on the dirt roads and not anywhere that ground clearance is an issue.

Last edited:

WyoStorm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I know the transfer case for the 2017 Raptor is all new also but I haven't seen anything that it is also in the 2015 F150. I would doubt there the same with the new transmission and all but where did you here that?

bmacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know the transfer case for the 2017 Raptor is all new also but I haven't seen anything that it is also in the 2015 F150. I would doubt there the same with the new transmission and all but where did you here that?

A Ford tech... because they would totally know what case is being used in the yet to be released Raptor.