New 18 scab: Driving vibration/oscillation in MPG readout. Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kifo4173

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just received my new 2018 scab off a truck today. It was shipped from a dealership in Michigan. What a beauty!

I noticed nearly right away that there is some vibration/unsettled movement at any speed and activity. When coasting at 10mph on an extremely good pavement road, I can see my arm moving with my hand resting on the door. It follows some sort of rhythm, and happens at all speeds.

Then, looking at the instantaneous MPG readout, I can be coasting at say 10 or 15mph and it will consistently oscillate in rhythm with the vibration I'm feeling. Is this just how the MPG readout is? It flutters, for example, at a high rate of oscillation around 10mpg when my speed is constant (per the analog display-no change in road pitch or other variables).

This also happens when braking or accelerating.

Any tips on where to start diagnosing? I had someone else drive it too and he said 'yep, I feel that immediately'. So-I don't think I'm just imagining it. A bit bummed and concerned about this...

Jr24

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t know what the production date of your truck is, but if your truck is a new 2018, it has probably been sitting on the lot for for a few months, and if that’s the case, I wonder if the tires have not gotten flat-spotted from sitting. If that’s the case, I would think it would improve with a little bit of driving.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
KO2’s are notoriously hard to balance, a few early 2017s had some that were replaced under warranty because they could never get the vibration out. I haven’t heard of anyone having this recently.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just received my new 2018 scab off a truck today. It was shipped from a dealership in Michigan. What a beauty!

I noticed nearly right away that there is some vibration/unsettled movement at any speed and activity. When coasting at 10mph on an extremely good pavement road, I can see my arm moving with my hand resting on the door. It follows some sort of rhythm, and happens at all speeds.

Then, looking at the instantaneous MPG readout, I can be coasting at say 10 or 15mph and it will consistently oscillate in rhythm with the vibration I'm feeling. Is this just how the MPG readout is? It flutters, for example, at a high rate of oscillation around 10mpg when my speed is constant (per the analog display-no change in road pitch or other variables).

This also happens when braking or accelerating.

Any tips on where to start diagnosing? I had someone else drive it too and he said 'yep, I feel that immediately'. So-I don't think I'm just imagining it. A bit bummed and concerned about this...

Check your tire pressure and adjust down to 36 or so all the way around and drive it for a while. Mine flat spot a little after sitting overnight then smooth out after a mile or two of driving. Super smooth after that.