MY19 just under 18k miles, zero issues... wondering if I have a phaser "time bomb" that *will* go off some day?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaper308

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with @smurfslayer I have a 18 and had the phasers fail twice both times replaced under warranty luckily the last one was with all revised parts. I do believe it is a crap shoot if yours will fail or not, yes there are components that lead to the failure but not always and probably more likely under different conditions. In my opinion run it, enjoy it and don’t worry about it. Unless you have the itch for a replacement to a newer Raptor than pull the trigger for that reason not to try and time a purchase before a possible failure of a component that “might” fail in the future. Not sure if that helps but hope so.

Last edited:

smgilles

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm so confused by the cam phaser issue and I'm a very low milage driver 98% street queen. I remember getting my cam phaser recall notice years ago and the dealer told me it was just to fix them *if they had failed* but that they would not proactively do it. Fine by me, whatever. My question now: are the phasers basically guaranteed to fail at some point? Maybe there's a specific mfg month where we know the problem was corrected at manufacture time? I don't remember my date offhand but I bought my truck in Feb 2020 so it might be a late 2019 build (I'm just guessing).
I hope I am not jinxing myself here, but I have a 2017 I ordered with 4 miles on the odometer that has not had the cam phaser issue. I just turned 102,000 miles.

I change the oil every 5000 miles no matter what.

smgilles

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well. I definitely jinxed myself….:banghead: 102,075 miles.

Cam phasers are loud and proud. Going under the knife in a couple of weeks. Going to do timing chains, water pump, T-stat, and belts at the same time. Any other advice @FordTechOne ?

If she comes out of surgery whole again then I will be calling @GooseTuned for bigger turbos and injectors.

I won’t lie, I checked out a 2024 37 package on the dealer lot, but can’t justify a 4door with less hp and terrible looking headlamps at $93k.

GooseTuned

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Well. I definitely jinxed myself….:banghead: 102,075 miles.

Cam phasers are loud and proud. Going under the knife in a couple of weeks. Going to do timing chains, water pump, T-stat, and belts at the same time. Any other advice @FordTechOne ?

If she comes out of surgery whole again then I will be calling @GooseTuned for bigger turbos and injectors.

I won’t lie, I checked out a 2024 37 package on the dealer lot, but can’t justify a 4door with less hp and terrible looking headlamps at $93k.
Phasers aren’t really a problem. But I’ll be here when you’re ready!

1BAD454SSv2

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just turned 41k on my 19 built Feb of 2019 , Never had recall done . Oil changes every 2500 miles with Motul 100% synthetic . Truck is whisper quiet at start up , running Goosetune E50 tune since March . One thing i do is let truck idle for 1 min or more when arrive and park , I wait idling then shut off . Habit from my Gen 1 that would get a tick on start up , learned if you let it idle min or so before turning off , truck would not tick on restart . I don't know if this helps phaser timing but allows things to stabilize instead of pulling in a parking spot and just cutting it off .

OP
OP
B

braptorin

Reaction score
Just turned 41k on my 19 built Feb of 2019 , Never had recall done . Oil changes every 2500 miles with Motul 100% synthetic . Truck is whisper quiet at start up , running Goosetune E50 tune since March . One thing i do is let truck idle for 1 min or more when arrive and park , I wait idling then shut off . Habit from my Gen 1 that would get a tick on start up , learned if you let it idle min or so before turning off , truck would not tick on restart . I don't know if this helps phaser timing but allows things to stabilize instead of pulling in a parking spot and just cutting it off .
I do a similar idle up and down period before driving or killing the motor! I've done that on all my vehicles and have no idea if it's a meaningful practice, but I like to let things get heat settled without stressing them, etc.

smgilles

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Truck is back and quieter than a church mouse. I had almost forgot what they are supposed to sound like. Coolant lines all looked very good and did not get replaced. I did not do the oil pan even though I have the 2 piece plastic pan. Everything else got replaced (belts, tensioners, water pump, T-stat + housing, VCT solenoids x 4, updated cam phasers, Timing chains).

The real question is, how long should i wait before putting @GooseTuned back on then the XDI HPFP? I might give it 500 miles just prove the workmanship isn’t going to be an issue.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

sbradle4

Reaction score
Bought my ‘19 with 59k miles on Memorial Day. Test drove no issues. Bought it, came home started next morning, no issues. Went out at lunch break, cam phasers…. Luckily had 600 miles to spare on factory powertrain warranty. Now runs perfectly

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
I bought my 2018 new in Jan 2018. Drove it 1400 miles home, tuned it with MPT until Cobb finally released their AP & AT software. Switched to E50 right after that, so it’s been running tuned since new and just rolled over 85000 miles. I do my own maintenance & service work with 5w30 synthetic oil & FL500S filters. I just changed ALL the fluids in the truck. Transmission, Xfer case, front & rear diffs, coolant, and brake fluid, along with new brakes and a rotor cleanup, all done by myself at home. I have new rotors and braided steel lines on hand, but that’ll wait until “next time”.

Overall consideration, this truck is the most versatile, trouble-free vehicle I’ve ever owned. It has never seen a dealer since I drove it off the lot over 6 years ago. I’ve not done ANY of the recall/customer service crap because fugg the idiots at the dealer. I’ll deal directly with Ford or with Tasca Ford Parts online.

I’m about to install the bigger turbos, manifolds, downpipes, etc I’ve had few a few years now. It needs more power now. I was fine with it until I bought a new 21 Explorer ST with the 3.0 TT EB for my wife to carry the grandkids around back in April 21. It’s still stock hard parts as well, except intercooler and of course tuned for E50 along with some trick 10R60 tuning from ZFG. The problem is that it is so much quicker/faster than my truck. I mean the Explorer ST runs 11s @ 115 and the truck feels dog slow running 12.5 @ 108! Oh well… lol