My Gen1 raptor build and documentation thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pura_Vida

Reaction score
Got this 2014 special edition raptor a few weeks ago. Just installed a SYNC 3 screen, and I plan to keep it mostly stock, but might upgrade to 37s once I need new tires, and I want to find some beadlock rings for my wheels, although I know it is super hard.

I also want to get a full front bull bar/catchers mask style bumper and a winch, and an air compressor, although I have no particular need for it right now

Attachments

• IMG_6861.jpeg
    IMG_6861.jpeg
    233.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_6912.jpeg
    IMG_6912.jpeg
    157.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6960.jpeg
    IMG_6960.jpeg
    114.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_7025.jpeg
    IMG_7025.jpeg
    117.5 KB · Views: 21
OP
OP
P

Pura_Vida

Reaction score
I’m considering getting a catchers mask style/bull bar because there are a lot of deer in my area and I would prefer not to damage my vehicle if I encounter such deer. Is there any recommendations for something like this? Or does anyone know if this is a quality bumper? I also understand adding a heavier bumper will change how the front suspension works so any info on that would be great as well. Also any anecdotes of people hitting deer with their gen1 raptors would be great because it might be tall enough to where I wouldnt even need a bumper like this

Attachments

• IMG_7065.png
    IMG_7065.png
    253.2 KB · Views: 5

rschap1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have yet to see a "brush guard" "grille guard" type of bumper that doesn't do more damage upon a deer hit than what would happen w/o.
There are a TON of deer in my area.
Prior to hunting season opening in the fall, I had mornings last year that I saw 100+ whitetails along the roads during my 9 mile drive to work.
Unfortunately, I have "encountered" more than I would have liked too.
Most front end guards bend and fold back along the entire width of the front end until contacting grill, lights, hood, and both fenders, damaging all when maybe only half the parts would have been plowing into the venison.
It's up to you, but I have not seen any that I think strong enough to minimize repairs. Mounting points are still what they are. Anything heavy duty enough and built, gusseted, robust, and sturdy enough to help would have to add so much weight and mass, I wouldn't want to carry it all day every day.
And...
of course my personal opinion also...
I have yet to see a Raptor wearing a chin guard/ dental dam style bumper that I wouldn't remove right away if it were mine.
Just have not seen any that don't look too big bulky and out of place.
Realize all this is just my preference, but there's my .02.
If there was something I thought would eliminate a deer hit, I would be on it.
I go the other way with bright lights and maybe "deer whistles" to see them sooner and hopefully get them out of the way.
Best of luck.