Moving a large boat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Syberspace

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im not suggesting towing overloaded... however... the regular F150 will tow 10,000+ pounds in similar configuration.
It's the springs that make the Raptor tow less. Bags will help and make sure your tongue weight is at least 10% if you decide to do this.

MFouts

Reaction score
There are a lot of factors that go into GVWR and tow rating. Suspension, Wheel base, Tires, Hitch, Gearing, Transmission. To get the 9,000 to 10,000 lbs tow rating you pretty much have to special order a truck with very specific options. In my opinion it would be foolish to tow 10K plus with any 1/2 ton truck as your tongue weight would have to be over 1K. As mentioned here and elsewhere adding air springs or changing out shocks and suspension parts does not change your GVWR.

bvlaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Isn’t the raptor only rated for 5000 pounds without a weight distributing hitch and 8000 pounds with a weight distribution hitch? I think even those ratings are really optimistic.

MFouts

Reaction score
The Raptor is a very capable towing truck. With the Ecoboost, 10 speed transmission, and 4:10 gears it tows terrific. The limiting factor is the suspension. It has a GVWR of 7350 so with a vehicle weight of 5900 lbs that leaves about 1400 lbs for cab occupants, luggage, gear, and trailer tongue weight. They do have an 8500 pound towing capacity which would be tough to achieve being that you should have about 1000 pounds of tongue weight with that load.
I currently tow a 5000 pound Bigfoot trailer and it tows extremely well, I keep the tongue weight at under 600 pounds and about 500 lbs of gear, including driver and passenger.
The only issue I have and am now trying to correct is rear end squat, with that load I get about 2 inches of squat out of the back of the truck and I don't really care for the look, but don't want to do air springs at this time.

bvlaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Raptor is a very capable towing truck. With the Ecoboost, 10 speed transmission, and 4:10 gears it tows terrific. The limiting factor is the suspension. It has a GVWR of 7350 so with a vehicle weight of 5900 lbs that leaves about 1400 lbs for cab occupants, luggage, gear, and trailer tongue weight. They do have an 8500 pound towing capacity which would be tough to achieve being that you should have about 1000 pounds of tongue weight with that load.
I currently tow a 5000 pound Bigfoot trailer and it tows extremely well, I keep the tongue weight at under 600 pounds and about 500 lbs of gear, including driver and passenger.
The only issue I have and am now trying to correct is rear end squat, with that load I get about 2 inches of squat out of the back of the truck and I don't really care for the look, but don't want to do air springs at this time.

You clearly know a lot about towing (it seems most people don’t…….) and I’m glad you’re having a good experience with your truck.

Mine was a 2019 and my experience was different. The sticker in the door jam indicated I only had 1188 pounds of payload capacity. Pulling a two place enclosed snowmobile trailer, which was approximately 4000 pounds loaded up, yielded approximately 500 pounds of tongue weight. My son and I weigh approximately 500 pounds between the two of us. With our 80 pound dog in the backseat, we were almost at maximum capacity.

The squat was terrible (maybe it’s better on the third generations) and the motor was constantly into the turbos if I tried to tow anything faster than 65 mph, to the point the numbers were popping up above the coolant gauge, indicating it was getting hot. And that was in 10 degree weather.

Bought a couple more snowmobiles and moved on to a 25 foot enclosed trailer and I had to sell the raptor. I certainly miss that truck and find it interesting to follow this forum, but my GMC HD 3500 Denali Duramax serves my needs much better.

perry

Reaction score
I am needing to move a boat 10 minutes to the lake. Dry weight is 7200 plus aluminum triple axle trailer and some fuel

Anyone test this weight range yet?

Towed a 2802 bayliner on a triple axel galv trailer for years w a blown gen 1. Not pretty till adjusting boat position, i.e. toungue weight but it towed like a champ. Performed way better than my old 99 f250 w v10 in regard to power and breaking. Rear springs are not ideal but it works just fine. Guessing entire load was plus or minus 10 k.

MFouts

Reaction score
You clearly know a lot about towing (it seems most people don’t…….) and I’m glad you’re having a good experience with your truck.

Mine was a 2019 and my experience was different. The sticker in the door jam indicated I only had 1188 pounds of payload capacity. Pulling a two place enclosed snowmobile trailer, which was approximately 4000 pounds loaded up, yielded approximately 500 pounds of tongue weight. My son and I weigh approximately 500 pounds between the two of us. With our 80 pound dog in the backseat, we were almost at maximum capacity.

The squat was terrible (maybe it’s better on the third generations) and the motor was constantly into the turbos if I tried to tow anything faster than 65 mph, to the point the numbers were popping up above the coolant gauge, indicating it was getting hot. And that was in 10 degree weather.

Bought a couple more snowmobiles and moved on to a 25 foot enclosed trailer and I had to sell the raptor. I certainly miss that truck and find it interesting to follow this forum, but my GMC HD 3500 Denali Duramax serves my needs much better.
I had a 3500 Duramax Denali couple of trucks prior to the Raptor and it was great for hauling my Arctic Fox camper and towing my Wrangler Rubicon.
If I were still towing anything over 6000 to 7000 lbs I would definately be in a Superduty.
The GMC seats don't fit me very well and I love this Raptor for comfort and fun.

bvlaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 3500 Duramax Denali couple of trucks prior to the Raptor and it was great for hauling my Arctic Fox camper and towing my Wrangler Rubicon.
If I were still towing anything over 6000 to 7000 lbs I would definately be in a Superduty.
The GMC seats don't fit me very well and I love this Raptor for comfort and fun.
The raptor cannot be beaten for comfort and fun, that is for sure. Miss my raptor in those regards.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
I am needing to move a boat 10 minutes to the lake. Dry weight is 7200 plus aluminum triple axle trailer and some fuel in it I'm guessing to be pushing 8800lbs. I have the airlift 1000 airbags installed so hoping it will suffice to make it the short drive.

Trailer has the tongue surge brake setup.

Anyone test this weight range yet?
Just do it, it'll be fine if you're not an idiot. Roofers and contractors are racing up and down the road with 24" rubber band tires hauling a gooseneck dumps loaded full of shingles or rocks and dirt. I wouldn't hesitate to do it.

I bought a new '98 Dodge cummins dually, rated to tow 8800lbs with the ****** automatic tranny. It's just a warranty thing, if you're gonna do it all the time.