Lack of aftermarket options with stock offset?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

neovenator

Reaction score
First time posting here after months of lurking, and a few months back I came across an offer on the truck I kept as my wallpaper that I couldn't resist for a clean, 1-owner 2014 example.

I got the alloy wheels, which, while they're not ugly, they're not my favorite either. So I started my hunt and research for aftermarket wheel options.

My only three requirements were:
- Stay within OEM spec: 17x8.5, 6x135, with +34mm offset (no modification whatsoever).
- Flow forged (don't need beadlocks, this is a pavement princess, but bad experiences with aftermarket alloys make me only want to stay within OEM quality or higher.)
- Black, especially satin black.

However, I was a bit shocked to see that aftermarket examples in the stock offset were practically non-existent. It seems the majority of offerings are in +0mm offset. I did see a handful of +18mm, and +25mm offset.

Other than to try to stay within OEM performance, I don't want to make any adjustments or modifications to my truck to make them fit. It seems that is recommended with going the +0mm offset route if you don't want any issues with rubbing. From what I've gathered, the 18 - 25mm options should present less of an issue, but even then the options are very limited. A common line I've read is that consumers aren't interested in stock offset options, which is why there's little to no offerings.

I was really interested in purchasing the 17" VR-601BL which ticked 2 of those 3 requirements, but they come only in +0mm. I did see that Method did offer a 34mm option, but it's not exactly my taste and it has since been discontinued.

At this point, it seems my only option to change up my look is to find some OEM Raptor wheels. I'm thinking of going with either the SVT "beadlocks" route, or any OEM 35" black "beadlock" style wheels that came in the Gen2/Gen3

Curious to hear from others that haven't upgraded their wheels due to the lack of stock offset options, or others that were in my position but eventually gave in and bought some new kicks.

CleverGirl_

Cabin Clown
Reaction score
0 offset is best for these trucks.

Which is listed in almost every wheel and tire thread ;)

You can find all years of wheels on Facebook marketplace. I found mine for 600$ so they are out there.

Methods are popular and come in stock offset too

Last edited:

Space Ghost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are these wheels for sale? If so I’m interested.
not my pic, usually see some around 2-2.5k with 37 k02s on fb marketplace

Agree they look good, them and the 19-20/13-14 SE beadlocks are my favorite oem wheels

OP
OP
neovenator

neovenator

Reaction score
these wheels that came on the 37s sound like theyd fit what you want
View attachment 465927
These are looking to be my best option going w/ stock offset, I originally assumed the 37" rims would be different spec wise but that doesn't seem to be the case. Did find a few examples on eBay.

Which is listed in almost every wheel and tire thread ;)

You can find all years of wheels on Facebook marketplace. I found mine for 600$ so they are out there.

Methods are popular and come in stock offset too
I did find a thread on running 0mm offset on stock suspension, but it was regarding a Gen 2. It sounds like as long as my wheel width is at 8.5", I shouldn't notice any rubbing unless I was seriously off-roading, hoping that holds true with the Gen 1's stock suspension. Sadly those flow forged wheels I linked are 17x9.
With the OEM tire you'll only and barely rub the lower portion on the fender flare where it wraps under the truck by the fender liner. With an 8.5 it's pretty minimal. 9's at a zero are a little more noticeable. There some wheel options that are +12, +18, +20 and +25. Not many and none are Methods but they're out there.

kocher93

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These are looking to be my best option going w/ stock offset, I originally assumed the 37" rims would be different spec wise but that doesn't seem to be the case. Did find a few examples on eBay.

I did find a thread on running 0mm offset on stock suspension, but it was regarding a Gen 2. It sounds like as long as my wheel width is at 8.5", I shouldn't notice any rubbing unless I was seriously off-roading, hoping that holds true with the Gen 1's stock suspension. Sadly those flow forged wheels I linked are 17x9.
For what it's worth. My truck rubbed with stock wheels and K02s and when I went to Icon wheels (not zero offset but very close) it still rubbed just a little further out the fender.
To clarify by rubbing I mean marking up the inner fender, not doing any harm to anything.

OP
OP
neovenator

neovenator

Reaction score
For what it's worth. My truck rubbed with stock wheels and K02s and when I went to Icon wheels (not zero offset but very close) it still rubbed just a little further out the fender.
To clarify by rubbing I mean marking up the inner fender, not doing any harm to anything.
Thanks, that's helpful to know, are you still running those wheels on your Raptor?

Writing down my findings in hopes to help other Gen 1 owners, I'm quoting this thread just for visibility and convenience. It's a bit old, and new wheels have came out since. I didn't mention in my post, but another reason why I'm going after flow-forged is to pursue something lighter than OEM.

It seems like more and more people are asking about wheel weights lately so I wanted to start an ongoing sheet that I'll continue to add to as more options become available. These were some that I could think of off the top of my head. If you know of any other options post em and I'll add them to the sheet. Please list the following:
Brand:
Model:
Size:
Offset:
Weight:
Load Rating:

I'm trying to keep the weights below 28lbs to be on the list

View attachment 147294

In pursuit of lightweight wheels:
As we all know, these are heavy trucks. General consensus was that shaving off a few pounds in wheels wasn't much of a noticeable difference in terms of performance or even MPG. The weight of our tires has more of an impact, but even then, if you're already running the stock KO2s, you're pretty much on the lighter side of what's available. That being said, there was one user that did report seeing better handling and driving performance when switching to a lighter wheel, going against the general consensus.

That being said, I'm still going to move forward with exploring lighter wheel options in addition to OEM beadlock capable wheels. I'm going to sit on my decision for a while, but in the meantime, I continued my search.

This is the new criteria I used to find potential new aftermarket wheels for myself:
- 17x8.5
- Flow forged
- As light as possible
- Offset as close to stock as possible
- Looks good

For reference, the OEM SVT alloy wheels are 31.5lbs.

The first candidate I found was the Black Rhino Voll BR015, they were recently released in January 2024:
- 17x8.5
- Flow forged
- +25mm offset
- 27.12 lbs
- Load rating: 2650 lbs
- Available in Matte Black, Matte Bronze, and Hyper Silver
rhino-br015mx-voll-17x8-5-6-et0-matte-black-a1-png.png

The second candidate is the KMC KM730 Hatchet, released in March 2024:
- 17x8.5
- Flow forged
- +25mm offset
- 25.75 lbs
- Load rating: 2650 lbs
- Available in Matte Black, Gloss Silver, and Metallic Blue
km730_matteblack_white.jpg

I really dig the look of the Black Rhinos, it helps that there's a pic of a Gen 3 with them
maxresdefault.jpg

I did not include Method wheels, in their current inventory, they have a few 25mm options but I didn't click with any of them. Website has a checkbox for a 35mm option, but it does not load for me. The only Method wheel that I know of that came in the stock offset was discontinued, but I'd rather not have to dig through and hope an owner decides to part ways with them.

Last edited:

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's kinda of all encompassing isn't it? Is it best for a 9" wide wheel? How about a 10" wide wheel?

The OEM offset is best from a function standpoint, which is why Ford engineers chose it. Things like scrub radius, ackerman, and bumpsteer are all greatly affected by the wheel offset.

Ideally, any changes to the offset should be only to adjust for any added wheel width. Since you can't go much further inward with the wheel lip/inner tire wall before you hit suspension parts, you have to change the offset so the wheel and tire package still fits. Given the stock offset of +34mm, you'd need to widen the wheel 68mm, or nearly 3" to "need" a 0 offset wheel to clear the suspension.

If you are thinking +0 looks good- that's fine, I agree it does look good. But functionally, it's not "best". Best is the wheel with the maximum amount of postive offset possible, while still not hitting the suspension.

For a while, Eagle Alloy wheels made a "Raptor fitment" wheel that used stock lugnuts, was 17x9, and had a +8 offset. They don't make them anymore unfortunately.