GEN 1 Knocking Blend Door

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaybird5158

Reaction score
Just an FYI to help with chasng your tail over this issue. Had the knocking blend door near the gas pedal and constant hot air from the passenger side dash vent after I replaced the battery (installed an Odyessey ODXAGM65 best battery on the planet). Would not respond to temp or fan adjustments, constant door knock etc. Started down a dark path of diagnosis which would include blend door actuator/s replacement.

The blend doors would just not calibrate. As a last ditch effort prior to the blend door replacement, I decided to turn the climate control off prior to disconnecting the battery (ground cable) overnight. When I originally changed out the battery it was powered down for only a few minutes during the replacement, which may not have been enough time to lay the platform for a proper system reset.

Glad to say It worked !! Just needed to follow up with driving 50-75 miles for the system "learning process" to do its thing. Glad to say starting with the easy stuff "first" paid off again. Hope this saves someone from having to needlessly go through the blend door replacement.

I chose not to pull the fuse for the climate control over the battery disconnect to make sure all power drained from the electronics priot to re-connecting the battery next day.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This mirrors my own experience. On advice provided by @FordTechOne I disconnected the battery (I disconnected both terminals just to be thorough :)) and left it that way overnight. Reconnected in the morning, started it up, and turned on the AC. It clicked a couple times, and then settled down and functioned properly. It still clicks on occasion, but only once or twice, and continues to function properly.