Kicker subwoofer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

costnsg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought an 801a because price was right. Stereo, Ho Hum!! I did have the 7 speaker system, just no decent bass at all. Ordered the Kicker from Ebay, $450ish, can't remember exact price, but was in $400's shipped to the house. Installed using all factory mounting points, and truck is prewired for the sub, had to slit the carpet to access mounting points in two places. Fairly easy install, maybe 30 minutes or so. Once installed, Ford has to activate the subs wiring harness, and deactivate the fake engine noise (per instructions provided). The woofer is not going to blow the windows out of the truck, but it will vibrate your mirrors. I was not looking to have my seat massage my back, just wanted a more full sound from the system I have, and it does that.

I did almost the same thing and for the same reasons. 801A package sound system has 7 speakers but very weak base. The Kicker is adequate for my purposes and install was quite easy. I used Forescan to activate the sub and kill the enhanced engine noise. When I first made the code changes, I heard a fairly loud static/roar from the sub and thought SH _ _! I screwed it up. Turns out the radio came back after the code change on AM and not even on a station. Once I put it back on an FM station it sounded pretty good. For some reason, the bluetooth connection from my phone didn't sound right either, but that was corrected when i restarted the phone. Now all is well and i am satisifed with what I have.

jnsgator

Reaction score
Does anyone know if it's possible just swap the stock Sony sub from an 802a with the factory Kicker (part # vgl3z-18808-a which was the upgrade option only for an 801a)? And will the sound difference be comparatively better? Ford Performace and Ford parts referred me to my dealer who is clueless as are all other dealers in my area.

The DRis

Reaction score
I did almost the same thing and for the same reasons. 801A package sound system has 7 speakers but very weak base. The Kicker is adequate for my purposes and install was quite easy. I used Forescan to activate the sub and kill the enhanced engine noise. When I first made the code changes, I heard a fairly loud static/roar from the sub and thought SH _ _! I screwed it up. Turns out the radio came back after the code change on AM and not even on a station. Once I put it back on an FM station it sounded pretty good. For some reason, the bluetooth connection from my phone didn't sound right either, but that was corrected when i restarted the phone. Now all is well and i am satisifed with what I have.

2 questions:

If the 802A comes with the sub, is the fake engine noise automatically disabled?

Is there any difference between me turning off the fake noise via forscan vs the dealer with their tool?

costnsg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2 questions:

If the 802A comes with the sub, is the fake engine noise automatically disabled?

Is there any difference between me turning off the fake noise via forscan vs the dealer with their tool?

I can't say for sure how the 802A is set up so far as engine noise is concerned. I only have experience with my system which is 801A (shipped without sub). I expect reading the your codes via forescan would answer this question. Now that I know how it sounds without enhancement, it is noticeable different to be sure.

I expect the dealer has slicker equipment for changing the codes, but I would expect the result would be the same whether done yourself using forescan or the dealer doing it.

Note that I am not the expert and only learned just enough to make the changes I wanted. There are many others here who surely know more than I do.

17lbraptor

Reaction score
2 questions:

I am wondering the same thing and can't find a answer about the fake noise on a 802A. Also I am wondering if the Kicker sub sounds better than the sony one and if so can it be used with a 802A?

kandewinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am wondering the same thing and can't find a answer about the fake noise on a 802A. Also I am wondering if the Kicker sub sounds better than the sony one and if so can it be used with a 802A?

FWIW, I had the sony system in my gen1, totally sucked and I replaced every speaker. Opted out on my gen2, bought an 801a and added the kicker. Absolutely better than the stock sony system. I honestly cannot understand why Ford stuck with sony for sooooo loooong.

Honinspire02

Reaction score
do you mind sharing exactly what you changed through forscan?