Installed My Ford Performance Catch Can

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roger7254

Reaction score
Run a UPR dual catch can and to empty I just turn the lever.

It was very expensive but it also included a uni breather the replaces the oil cap. This is to release any pressure should it build up in very cold climates. It also came with a different air sensor that had a Ford tag on it which had to be turned a certain way installed on the drivers side.

No codes and has worked flawlessly.
I run UPR single catch can (they said they can't ship dual can because im in CA), it does the job. catching about 1.5 table spoon for every 3300miles.

Great Scott

Reaction score
Curious why Ford makes them for the Gen2 but I don't see one for the Gen3. Nothing changed in the engine to my understand that would cause them not to provide to one Gen but not the other.
Gen 3 motor went to port and direct injection. Port injection during idle and direct under load.

I believe it was to counter the oil buildup issues on the valves which is why this catch-can has a need for Gen 2 and less so for Gen 3. Gen 3 still has oil passing by the valves, but the port injection under idle should be cleaning the top of the valves or keeping them from having carbon buildup.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Gen 3 motor went to port and direct injection. Port injection during idle and direct under load.

I believe it was to counter the oil buildup issues on the valves which is why this catch-can has a need for Gen 2 and less so for Gen 3. Gen 3 still has oil passing by the valves, but the port injection under idle should be cleaning the top of the valves or keeping them from having carbon buildup.
Uhh, Gen 2 is also port and direct injection. This is not new. Maybe the run cycle has been modified to use port injection more?

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score

As stated the dual fuel system was implemented for the Gen 2.
It was NOT done to combat intake valve build up. That is a secondary reason/benefit.

If that were the case all direct injection engines would have dual fuel systems (if the sole reason was for intake valves deposit build up).

Currently there are only a couple engines I know of that have dual fuel systems. They are both over 3.2 liters and originally just had direct fuel injection.

Direct fuel injection is inefficient at lower engine speeds and creates a lot of soot. The government told manufacturers to lower the soot level. Believe it or not we came extremely close to having particulate filters on gas engines to combat this issue.

The dual fuel system takes care of this and was the only reason it came to be (government mandates).

If you look at an older direct injection engine the tail pipes will be black with soot.

My wife's 2013 SHO tail pipes are normally as dirty or dirtier than my 7.3 powerstroke. My 2020 Raptor has almost no soot.

The dual fuel system works like this.

Port fuel injection from idle to 3000 rpm, 3000-4000rpm both systems are working (gradual switch to direct injection) by 4000 rpm the engine is running on direct injection only.

The excess soot may be related to bore size, as no engine I know of below 3 liters has dual fuel system.

PS there is at least 1 gas engine out there with a particulate filter, it is either a Jaguar or a Maserati (can't remember which one I saw it on about a year ago, but thought thank God I don't have one)

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Would be cool if the AOS drained the oil back into the crankcase. Any water would get evaporated as soon as it went back in.
No it wouldn't, you sound like you work for the EPA. (EPA us why catch cans are not installed at the factory).

The stuff that a catch can catches you don't want back in the engine.

blwn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was NOT done to combat intake valve build up. That is a secondary reason/benefit.

If that were the case all direct injection engines would have dual fuel systems (if the sole reason was for intake valves deposit build up).

Currently there are only a couple engines I know of that have dual fuel systems. They are both over 3.2 liters and originally just had direct fuel injection.

Direct fuel injection is inefficient at lower engine speeds and creates a lot of soot. The government told manufacturers to lower the soot level. Believe it or not we came extremely close to having particulate filters on gas engines to combat this issue.

The dual fuel system takes care of this and was the only reason it came to be (government mandates).

If you look at an older direct injection engine the tail pipes will be black with soot.

My wife's 2013 SHO tail pipes are normally as dirty or dirtier than my 7.3 powerstroke. My 2020 Raptor has almost no soot.

Port fuel injection from idle to 3000 rpm, 3000-4000rpm both systems are working (gradual switch to direct injection) by 4000 rpm the engine is running on direct injection only.

The excess soot may be related to bore size, as no engine I know of below 3 liters has dual fuel system.

PS there is at least 1 gas engine out there with a particulate filter, it is either a Jaguar or a Maserati (can't remember which one I saw it on about a year ago, but thought thank God I don't have one)

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score

My 2019 802A Raptor exhausts are black inside, soot. I was burning oil when new and later they replaced a valve cover.

I don't burn any oil now, however, the level on the dipstick does drop a tiny amount over a years time.

Last year I think I only put about 3,000 miles on it.

Maybe I should just wipe out the inside of my exhausts and see if any soot returns.

Truck idles and runs great.