Installed My Ford Performance Catch Can

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Space Ghost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't see any advantage to the Ford unit. It's more expensive and appears to be a pain to install compared to the JLT Oil Separator. It's also much more difficult to empty. I can speak from experience that the JLT unit does a good job separating oil and it's easy to empty at each oil change. Just another area where Ford should include a separator as standard equipment.
imo its an easier install, but the emptying kinda sucks. Its not that hard to unplug the hoses off them, but i like to clean them out and my jlt one had that easier, fp one takes a few minutes more to unbolt it to do so, but like i said not that bad to do.

The mounting bracket is much sturdier than the jlt one, i never liked it sitting on a plastic battery tray, the jlt i run in my lightning mounts to the firewall, much more secured.

Shane361

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't see any advantage to the Ford unit. It's more expensive and appears to be a pain to install compared to the JLT Oil Separator. It's also much more difficult to empty. I can speak from experience that the JLT unit does a good job separating oil and it's easy to empty at each oil change. Just another area where Ford should include a separator as standard equipment.
Yeah I love my JLT also.

Ford won't because it is a cost they don't need to incur. It probably won't be benificial till your truck is at 60k-80k miles. My guess on how long it would take to collect and cause a negative effect. Ford also doesn't want our vehicles to last forever..to some degree yes but not every degree. Biggest reason IMO is consumer maintenance. Wonder what happens when it gets full and it doesn't get emptied. Does the system push liquid oil back through the system? Does pressure build with no place to vent? How many people would not maintain it? ALOT. This is best served for someone that will keep their vehicle, that goes the extra mile in every aspect. A catch can is not needed but it is beneficial when installed and maintained correctly.

OP
OP
Oldfart

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Seriously, a pain to install? You unclip 2 hoses and clip on the new hoses, clearance the foam cover with a razor or dremel, and bolt it in existing holes. Not sure how you can get easier than that. I'm also pretty confident it will not throw codes. To empty it you unclip the hoses and uncrew it to empty.

ayoustin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Oldfart would you mind posting some photos of the inside of it? Been eyeballing getting one of these for my truck but want to see how they've baffled the inside before pulling the trigger.

To anyone complaining about the draining process for this can, Ford has to jump through tons of hoops to be able to sell these compared to any small name aftermarket company. The PCV/CCV systems are considered emissions equipment which means the EPA will run a fine tooth comb over anything modifying it. Putting a quick drain valve on the can means adding a potential leak point or it being left open (which makes EPA big mad) so that wasn't an option for Ford.

As for being on both PCV (intake manifold to passenger valve cover circuit) and CCV (pre turbo intake to driver side valve cover circuit), the PCV is the circuit that sees the most oil vapor go through it. Almost all modern turbo engines have PCV and CCV circuits. The CCV circuit is mainly for keeping a vacuum on the crankcase when the engine is under high boost. Since most street vehicles spend the majority of their time is spent under vacuum/light boost so most of the crankcase flow goes through the PCV circuit because vacuum is higher in the intake manifold than the pre turbo intake. Having a can on each circuit is not a bad idea, but the biggest difference will be noticed having one on the PCV (what Ford Performance and most other companies sell).

You cannot feed both circuits through the same catch can, they need to be separated because the PCV circuit is closed when the engine is under high boost. These trucks also tend to be finicky with cans on the CCV circuit because there is a pressure sensor in the stock line which makes sure that the crankcase stays under vacuum and adding a catch can there can mess with the pressure the sensor sees (crankcase pressure is measured here because the CCV circuit is always open). Keeping the crankcase under vacuum helps reduce windage in the crankcase which improves fuel economy and reduce oil consumption as well as extend oil seal life.

OP
OP
Oldfart

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@Oldfart would you mind posting some photos of the inside of it? Been eyeballing getting one of these for my truck but want to see how they've baffled the inside before pulling the trigger.

To anyone complaining about the draining process for this can, Ford has to jump through tons of hoops to be able to sell these compared to any small name aftermarket company. The PCV/CCV systems are considered emissions equipment which means the EPA will run a fine tooth comb over anything modifying it. Putting a quick drain valve on the can means adding a potential leak point or it being left open (which makes EPA big mad) so that wasn't an option for Ford.

As for being on both PCV (intake manifold to passenger valve cover circuit) and CCV (pre turbo intake to driver side valve cover circuit), the PCV is the circuit that sees the most oil vapor go through it. Almost all modern turbo engines have PCV and CCV circuits. The CCV circuit is mainly for keeping a vacuum on the crankcase when the engine is under high boost. Since most street vehicles spend the majority of their time is spent under vacuum/light boost so most of the crankcase flow goes through the PCV circuit because vacuum is higher in the intake manifold than the pre turbo intake. Having a can on each circuit is not a bad idea, but the biggest difference will be noticed having one on the PCV (what Ford Performance and most other companies sell).

You cannot feed both circuits through the same catch can, they need to be separated because the PCV circuit is closed when the engine is under high boost. These trucks also tend to be finicky with cans on the CCV circuit because there is a pressure sensor in the stock line which makes sure that the crankcase stays under vacuum and adding a catch can there can mess with the pressure the sensor sees (crankcase pressure is measured here because the CCV circuit is always open). Keeping the crankcase under vacuum helps reduce windage in the crankcase which improves fuel economy and reduce oil consumption as well as extend oil seal life.
No problem, I'll be changing my oil in the next week or so, I'll take some pics when I remove it. I broke the tip of my damn pinky finger yesterday, or I would do it now.

OP
OP
Oldfart

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Go on...?
I know, right? I mean no way his bυττhole is still tight enough to break a finger.
:happy175: I am almost done ripping out a bunch of 30+ year old landscaping. Time to start fresh again. I'm tearing the stumps out with a choker chain, a heavy tow rope, and my truck, but I still have to pull the smaller roots out by hand. I had a guy come out for a few hours with an excavator to help with the really tough stuff. Thursday, I found I had missed a small stump and I broke my finger while pulling the rest of it out. I found out the hard way that when you are pulling real hard on something like a long root, you can torque the bones in the top joint of your pinky and break one. I never heard of something like that before. I knew I boogered it because it felt like I stuck a dull steak knife in it. Lucky for me, I'm righty and it's my left pinky, so it's not bad. I just won't be able to tickle my prostate lefty for a while. :hat:

Last edited: