Installed My Ford Performance Catch Can

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Todd Turbo S

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I did the Ford Performance catch can install today. The mechanical part was very straight forward. You replace one of the valve cover bolts with a special longer one that attaches the bracket for the can, and you reuse the other bolt for a second attachment point on the bracket. All the under hood pictures are taken from the right fender. Here's a link to the Ford install instructions. They are pretty good, except for totally leaving you on your own to clearance the engine cover. The Ford pictures are also from the vantage point of the right fender.

I was a little stumped on how exactly the PCV hoses unclip. There is a little tooth that you simply push to the side, it doesn't take much force at all. It goes in the clockwise direction, looking at it from the hose end. It opens a ring that lets it slip right off. When you remove them, leave the oil film on there, it's makes the hoses go back on easier. Put a little oil on the nipples on the can, for the same reason.

View attachment 412557

I saw some guys had trouble getting that bolt out of the valve cover. It's just a pressure fit sleeve, use a plastic interior tool and it will pop right out.

View attachment 412554

View attachment 412553
Nice write up. thank you. I have what might be a ridiculous question, but is this catch can for both sides or does this only capture the blow by oil on the driver side?

MarkM98

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have thought about doing catch cans on other turbo cars I’ve owned before but never got around to doing one. They never really ate much oil to begin with, and I wasn’t sure if any performance gains would be noticed. I haven’t owned my Raptor for that long to know how this engine uses oil.

OP
OP
Oldfart

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Nice write up. thank you. I have what might be a ridiculous question, but is this catch can for both sides or does this only capture the blow by oil on the driver side?
I'm always glad to help people in here whenever I can. I've gotten so much help from other members in here over the years, it ridiculous. I'm far from an expert on these wildly complicated new engines, but it looks to me that only the right side vent hose goes to the intake manifold, the left side appears to feed into the air intake just above the drivers side turbo. It's hard to tell exactly without crawling underneath. Maybe @FordTechOne can shed some more light on this? I'm curious now too, I hadn't really thought about it until you asked. It does look like the other Ford Performance catch cans are also one sided.

Last edited:

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm always glad to help people in here when I can. I'm far from an expert on these wildly complicated new engines, but it looks to me that only the right side vent hose goes to the intake manifold, the left side appears to feed into the air intake just above the drivers side turbo. It's hard to tell exactly without crawling underneath Maybe @FordTechOne can shed some more light on this? I'm curious now too, I hadn't really thought about it until you asked. It does look like the other Ford Performance catch cans are also one sided.
Oldfart, just curious as to what you’re trying to catch in your can?

Space Ghost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Typically most of the blowby is on the passenger side. Most that have put one on have said the drivers side doesnt collect much. That was in regards to the Lightning but im pretty sure the pcv operates the same for the 3.5