Ideas - cheaper snow chains.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

debordj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello, anyone know where I can get some cheap snow chains for stock tires?

Looking for very minimal use up in San Bernadino mtns.

Droid

kglesq's Brother
Reaction score

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Unfortunately you do need them when CalTrans requires it. Their "level 3" snow condition specs snow chains on all vehicles, including 4wds. That said, they indicate that roads are often closed when they hit level 3.

This thread has some data: http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f5/tire-chains-absolutely-not-just-precaution-4071/

He's right experienced that last fall while in sac for work, wanted to drive up to Tahoe and it snowed. Cal trans listed chains and 4x4 required

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

vanilla_gorilla

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you need chains in a 4x4, chances are you don't want to be there. I have been in some serious snow with my Raptor (Snowboarder), and have never needed chains and it handle very well.

Make sure you have good tires, and you should be fine. Unless you are going to Iceland, then you need a new truck.

6a00d83451b3c669e201310fbdf12d970c-800wi.jpg

vanilla_gorilla

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I travel the Sierras all the time in the winter, never had an issue getting through. The reason why they say 4x4s should carry chains is if the 4x4 system goes out. If the 4x4 system goes out, i have bigger problems.

LFtrip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It may be just a California law, not sure about the rest of the country but you are required to carry chains no matter what during the winter in the mountains. The CHP doesn't care if you have 4x4. I've seen plenty of people stopped and turned around because they did not have chains including myself and I was driving a Jeep wrangler at the time. If you have to put chains on a 4x4 vehicle the road is probably going to be closed. I would never put chains or cables on my Raptor but I will carry them because you can get a ticket for not having them or turned around which is a pain in the ass after driving so far.