High Speed Off Road & OEM Spare Tire Location

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocks2Sand

Reaction score
Seeing tons of chase racks and fancy tire carriers. I am missing the downsides of keeping the spare where its located and running an additional single spare in the bed to maximize space.
-Is the existing under bed mount strong enough to hold up to hard and fast off-road driving?
-Do most feel its in danger in the stock location due to hanging it bit low?

Speaking to the factory size 35 on oem wheels.

figure1a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most people just move it to look cool. These are same people that drive around with MaxxTraxx boards strapped to their roof 365 days a year even though they only off-road 3 days a year.

Some people move it because they find it easier to get to the spare in off-road conditions when it's in the bed. I have not heard of the under bed mount failing because of hard off-roading.

Moving it out from under the truck increases departure angle as the spare will hit the ground before the bumper will.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy and frf rolodex
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i keep my spare in the original location plus one in the bed. i had a rack built to still be able to utilize a bed cover so my shit dont get stolen. the oem location holds up just fine. its a pain in the ass to get to, but its there if you need it. in the bed in a rack is much easier to access, but i cant (nor want) 2 spares in the bed. im not a prerunner. the extra in the bed is almost necessary if you play in the sand though. if you are aired down in the sand and lose a bead or get a flat, digging out your spare is a royal bítch. especially if you get stuck before realizing you got a flat.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
i keep my spare in the original location plus one in the bed. i had a rack built to still be able to utilize a bed cover so my shit dont get stolen. the oem location holds up just fine. its a pain in the ass to get to, but its there if you need it. in the bed in a rack is much easier to access, but i cant (nor want) 2 spares in the bed. im not a prerunner. the extra in the bed is almost necessary if you play in the sand though. if you are aired down in the sand and lose a bead or get a flat, digging out your spare is a royal bítch. especially if you get stuck before realizing you got a flat.
What he said.

I keep 2x spares in the bed and when we head to the beach for vacation I need bed space, so I stow underneath for my wife’s luggage. Yes, she takes up most of the bed with luggage. If I’m messing about off road, I’ll add in some stuff and tie it and go.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
id rather not have to climb under there for anything, especially in the rain, mud, sand, paved or not to retrieve the tire... its a lot easier to get it out of the bed..

have you thought about trying to remove the tire from underneath while one rear tire is flat, and the other is sunk in sand, mud, gravel, desert? or on the highway in the rain?

the stock jack might not lift the truck high enough to get it out from under the truck, off road...

I usually dont carry my spare unless im going somewhere, and if i am i carry 1 in the bed, and if im going on a multi day trip i carry 2 in the bed..

OP
OP
R

Rocks2Sand

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback!! I ordered the JDS bed mount and jack for a single tire and my HF Offroad Jack. I'll report back with pics! To avoid all scenarios of not being able to access the under bed tire, I'll use the one in the bed first, and move the bad tire to under the bed, rotating the underbed spare to the bed.

This will allow room in the bed for a large gear tote and my fridge, all while ******** the cover as well!

HORN HIGH ACES

Full Access Member
Reaction score

But do you carry a spare tie rod for when you "miss the turn"?

PXL_20210724_004538481.jpg

OEMPlus Raptor

OEM preferred....
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback!! I ordered the JDS bed mount and jack for a single tire and my HF Offroad Jack. I'll report back with pics! To avoid all scenarios of not being able to access the under bed tire, I'll use the one in the bed first, and move the bad tire to under the bed, rotating the underbed spare to the bed.

This will allow room in the bed for a large gear tote and my fridge, all while ******** the cover as well!
Had I known, i'd sell you mine....oh well. I have a Pro Eagle mount though. I removed arch for spare since I'm not able to go as often as I used to. I prefer to have a flat floor for sliding things in and out. I just left the D rings mounted with the bed bolts. I can strap a spare down to those If I make it out to the desert.