Help - feeling a little Raptor regret

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
cmcpolo

cmcpolo

Reaction score
Is an alignment on EPAS different than on an old school hydraulic steering system?
Good question and one I was hoping someone would comment on. The tech told he centered the steering wheel and strapped it in place than aligned the front wheels. This process seems like a traditional alignment method. Based on the level of incompetency I’ve experienced at this dealer, I can only assume the alignment process is wrong.

rschap1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would see about going to a different repair facility IF you are interested in keeping the truck.'
That would be 1st decision.
With everything said so far, I wouldn't want them touching anything at all if you want to keep it.
Incompetent sure sounds like proper description, and I would fear them doing more harm than good.
If they agree to pay bill at someplace you can trust, I might consider keeping the Raptor.
Otherwise I would shop elsewhere personally.
Good luck

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Theres a bit of an art to alignments that comes with experience… when someone starts talking about “vibrating seats” is a bit of a rabbit hole as far as internet diagnosis goes. 9times out of 10 its improperly balanced big tires that people coming from other platforms never really experienced the driving dynamics of 35 and up AT/Mt tires. Ive spent 100’s of dollars trying to balance a set of 37’s years ago on roadforce etc and they still were choppy.

OP
OP
cmcpolo

cmcpolo

Reaction score
Theres a bit of an art to alignments that comes with experience… when someone starts talking about “vibrating seats” is a bit of a rabbit hole as far as internet diagnosis goes. 9times out of 10 its improperly balanced big tires that people coming from other platforms never really experienced the driving dynamics of 35 and up AT/Mt tires. Ive spent 100’s of dollars trying to balance a set of 37’s years ago on roadforce etc and they still were choppy.
Thanks. The alignment issue is separate from the rough ride situation. I asked them to do alignment because they didn't after putting on 4 new tires. The rough ride was a new symptom after they replaced IWE's and front bearings which makes no sense to me.

OP
OP
cmcpolo

cmcpolo

Reaction score
I would see about going to a different repair facility IF you are interested in keeping the truck.'
That would be 1st decision.
With everything said so far, I wouldn't want them touching anything at all if you want to keep it.
Incompetent sure sounds like proper description, and I would fear them doing more harm than good.
If they agree to pay bill at someplace you can trust, I might consider keeping the Raptor.
Otherwise I would shop elsewhere personally.
Good luck
Thanks. I definitely want to keep the truck. Just need it aligned enough to drive it back to my local dealer or tire shop to get it properly addressed.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks. The alignment issue is separate from the rough ride situation. I asked them to do alignment because they didn't after putting on 4 new tires. The rough ride was a new symptom after they replaced IWE's and front bearings which makes no sense to me.
You don't ALWAYS need an alignment with new tires. The answer is “ it depends” i never eff with alignment unless I have to like after mods or if steering is off center.

What kind of tires are on there?

OP
OP
cmcpolo

cmcpolo

Reaction score
You don't ALWAYS need an alignment with new tires. The answer is “ it depends” i never eff with alignment unless I have to like after mods or if steering is off center.

What kind of tires are on there?
I had a bad experience not having an alignment with new tires before so it’s become a standard with me. When they first put it on the rack the left front was way out of spec so I was happy I had asked to have it checked.

The dealer replaced what I think were the stock worn KO2’s with Goodyear Territory A/Ts. I took it on a 7 hr ride a few days before I dropped it off for the IWE work and it rode smooth as glass.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good question and one I was hoping someone would comment on. The tech told he centered the steering wheel and strapped it in place than aligned the front wheels. This process seems like a traditional alignment method. Based on the level of incompetency I’ve experienced at this dealer, I can only assume the alignment process is wrong.
Clearly the tech is a bonehead or lier.