Help - feeling a little Raptor regret

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Try a tire rotation, that can help in eliminating possible causes of vibration and rebalance the tires

Good idea. I was planning on this as well as having my dealer do a road force balance.

while a good suggestion, from a troubleshooting perspective, make only one change at a time and reassess. Either rotate or balance, not both. If you have a good balance and the vibration is not caused by the lack of balance, you just created another problem that may mask the fix !

Don’t rebalance if they can’t do a road force balance. look at your tires, you should see about 6-18 ounces of weights. One of my wheels stock had 22 ounces IIRC, but it rode smooth as glass. Also, alignment is 99.9% of the time not responsible for creating or contributing to a vibration in the steering wheel or chassis.

OP
OP
cmcpolo

cmcpolo

Reaction score
while a good suggestion, from a troubleshooting perspective, make only one change at a time and reassess. Either rotate or balance, not both. If you have a good balance and the vibration is not caused by the lack of balance, you just created another problem that may mask the fix !

Don’t rebalance if they can’t do a road force balance. look at your tires, you should see about 6-18 ounces of weights. One of my wheels stock had 22 ounces IIRC, but it rode smooth as glass. Also, alignment is 99.9% of the time not responsible for creating or contributing to a vibration in the steering wheel or chassis.
Thanks. Yes, I wouldn't rotate and balance at the same time. I would rotate first and see if the shaking moved.

As far as the alignment goes, I didn't request it as part of a possible fix for the vibration. I was surprised to hear the dealer didn't do an alignment as part of replacing 4 tires. I think this is bad practice and I wanted to prolong tire life. Alignment was out of spec by quite a bit as well so I'm glad I asked it to be done. Well, sort of, until I found out they apparently can't do an alignment.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good idea. I was planning on this as well as having my dealer do a road force balance.
If you do end up driving it back, check the tire pressures. Many dealers end up putting around 50-55 in the tires and it will ride terribly. You want somewhere around 38 front, 35 rear, it makes quite a difference in ride.

OP
OP
cmcpolo

cmcpolo

Reaction score
If you do end up driving it back, check the tire pressures. Many dealers end up putting around 50-55 in the tires and it will ride terribly. You want somewhere around 38 front, 35 rear, it makes quite a difference in ride.
Will do. Thanks.