Great Raptor Run In The Making

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
rasco

rasco

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am getting trail numbers and plotting the entire trail out.
Some of the trails I have in mind aren't forest service or BLM roads, so I've got to talk with a friend on the National Livestock Ranch. I'll get a ton more information when I can get a minute to sit down and put it all on here.

OP
OP
rasco

rasco

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Looks like tons of fun! When ur trying to plan this?

I'm thinking sometime after the first of the year.
I am a drilling consultant for an Oil and Gas company, and I won't get enough time off till after the first.
I am going to use my GPS to plot this out and work out the miles and fueling areas, where you'd have to fuel between stretches.
As of now I know there is fuel in Queens, and Timberone, and sometimes in Dell City. White City always has fuel too. But is a stretch between Timberone and Dell City that you'd have to carry fuel with you.

Also in the sumer months, the New Mexico desert is 110º at noon.
If a few people decide after I have all the info ready on this trip, that they want to run it, then we can put our heads together for the best time for everyone to do it.

Would anyone want to have a camp spot, or do this in one 24 hour period?
I have done it once or twice without stopping to sleep, and it adds a feeling of accomplishment to the final few miles :lol2:

I say, if we do this... It's 24 hours non-stop.:devilfinger:

---------- Post added at 08:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:33 PM ----------

randomhero

Reaction score
I'm somewhat local (less than 8 hours) and use to live in Carlsbad, would be a great time, count me in. What oil company you work for?

Mil T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
count me in for this. Sounds like a fun area.
I vote for hotel or camping. There's no reason to beat yourself up besides the truck. Makes for a good time and opportunity to get to know each other a little instead of spending all the time in the truck. Besides there's some that will be driving long distances to do this and have work and travel time issues.
Just my .02 cents worth.

Mil T

OP
OP
rasco

rasco

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'll have some days off in december, and I plan on running the area, and talking with some of the land owners and a friend I know with the BLM.
I wan't this to be cool with everyone, and maybe we can start this as a yearly thing. So far the idea has been well received, and we might even get a big discount at the Best Western in Carlsbad.

I like the camping idea too. Gives us a chance to swap war stories!

I am very open to suggestions and any additional ideas anyone has, as that I am not trying to put this on just so I can say I did it.. But so we can all go out and have a good time.

---------- Post added at 11:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 PM ----------

Wow! I'm originally from Carlsbad and have talked with some other members about doing a run down there.

This sounds fun, and if there's anything I can do to help make it happen let me know.

EDIT TO ADD: We also talked about heading from Carlsbad to Ruidoso, with some time to hit the slopes before we head back.

How long ago did you live in C-Bad?

MotuMute

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As long as we can wrap this around a long weekend so I can allow for the drive, I would be all over this one. I've been to Carlsbad, NM a few times and Ruidoso many times. Great central location for a Raptor Run so hopefully can get a decent turnout. An overnight camp out would probably be best and do get to know everyone better. Thanks for putting this together.