GooseTuned GT7XX Big Turbo Build Discussion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Misfit_1122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking for any and all input for strapping this onto a refreshed/built 3.5 going into a 2017 Screw.

Reason I'm building over buying an R is I love my truck and already have given it my personal touches to include the full SDI setup, if I'm being honest I'm to lazy to rip it all out and go back to stock to just get into another hefty truck payment and start the process all over again.

That being said what is the limiting factor here?

Has anyone done this on a Gen2?

What were your issues if any?

Currently sitting at 118k and 98k of that being Goosetuned. Currently the truck is running a mix of Stg2 91ACN and or Stg2 E50 when the local E is over 70%. I know the kit is designed for a stock motor but what if any built motor combo's are out there. Ideally I'd like to get my hands on one and take my time rebuilding it back to OEM or better specs so that once this original motor and or turbos go in goes the good stuff. Thanks ahead of time for anyone's shared experiences or lessons learned.

full-race geoff

Reaction score
We've done a lot of these trucks over the years and the issues I'd recommend considering ahead of time are unrelated to the turbos, hardware or tune.

-replace harmonic balancer crank pulley
-make sure you have the ML3Z phasers
-if you dont have the phasers, its a good idea to address that and also upgrade the timing assembly and rockers/lifters to gen3 while youre in there

ps: Im in a similar situation, my 2017 Screw is at 119k miles and about to get the full treatment.

WTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m sitting almost in the same situation. I just added the GT700 kit to my 21 and have an R on order. Not sure what I will do when the truck is ready.

I’m not sure on 3.5 engine builder, but I am sure on going with goosetuned’s kits. The performance is unreal out of this little 6 banger.

Good luck

OP
OP
Misfit_1122

Misfit_1122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We've done a lot of these trucks over the years and the issues I'd recommend considering ahead of time are unrelated to the turbos, hardware or tune.

-replace harmonic balancer crank pulley
-make sure you have the ML3Z phasers
-if you dont have the phasers, its a good idea to address that and also upgrade the timing assembly and rockers/lifters to gen3 while youre in there

ps: Im in a similar situation, my 2017 Screw is at 119k miles and about to get the full treatment.
Do you have any recommendations on the above parts?

Heads from a Gen3 3.5?

I got the update cam phasers at 112k and she has been running great click clack free for the last 7k miles.

Was thinking about pulling the nicest local ho 3.5 I could find and start piecing this together little by little. I have a great engine builder local to me that can do any and everything to the motor itself I just haven't found a lot of info on what needs to be addressed so thanks @full-race geoff

full-race geoff

Reaction score
youll need to use the Gen2 heads. timing components are partly from a Gen3 powerboost and the rockers/lifters are from a Gen3 coyote. The specific part number recipe i will compile and upload when i get some time. Im planning to start a thread with the info. Here's a video from headgames on the setup we're working on

TheClaw

Reaction score
youll need to use the Gen2 heads. timing components are partly from a Gen3 powerboost and the rockers/lifters are from a Gen3 coyote. The specific part number recipe i will compile and upload when i get some time. Im planning to start a thread with the info. Here's a video from headgames on the setup we're working on

Hey, Im currently working on my gen 2, i have your intercooler kit and stage 2 turbo kit....

any updates on this build...looking to do the same...

i.e gen 3 upgrades...ill call later hopefully you read this and were on the same page.

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Problem I have is wanting to capitalize on pump PlSS... Don't like having to run specialized fuels or "swap" to travel. Which really means I'd be smarter going with the R. But I REALLY understanding wanting to keep the "affair" you already have.

full-race geoff

Reaction score
Hey, Im currently working on my gen 2, i have your intercooler kit and stage 2 turbo kit.... any updates on this build...looking to do the same... i.e gen 3 upgrades
hey thanks for the bump. Im working on the build thread now, all the Gen3 part numbers that you'd want to install in a Gen2 engine are on the 3rd post: https://www.fordraptorforum.com/threads/full-races-gen-2-5-raptor-build.104036/
Problem I have is wanting to capitalize on pump PlSS... Don't like having to run specialized fuels or "swap" to travel. Which really means I'd be smarter going with the R. But I REALLY understanding wanting to keep the "affair" you already have.
In my experience, the key to making good power on pump fuel with a V6 twin turbo is: Direct Injection. Upgrading the DI pump (as oppposed to only the port injectors which is more common) will increase the knock resistance for a given fuel over upgraded PI only. there are some new developments in this area and I intend to use my raptor to find the limits

OP
OP
Misfit_1122

Misfit_1122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@full-race geoff you mind making time for a phone call sometime? As I do more research i have some questions about some of the different components.

dm me and we can exchange numbers if your willing to chat

Last edited: