Gen1 shifter knob chrome wear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gusser

Reaction score
old thread but in case you're here, I'm replacing my peeling chrome shifter with this.

:cheers:

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
old thread but in case you're here, I'm replacing my peeling chrome shifter with this.

I have a 2011, and the chrome and leather on my shifter look new. It's garaged unless being driven, so I wonder if this problem with the chrome is found in trucks that are parked outside. Direct sunlight and/or high temps in the cab might be the culprit. Resting your sweaty/oily right hand on the shifter might also be a factor.

If it was me, I'd be looking for a less expensive solution than that uncomfortable looking $250 B&M shifter. In the mean time I'd give a strip of black Gorilla Tape a try. It looks good, is very durable, and sticks like nobody's business. I'd degrease the chrome with some denatured alcohol, being careful to avoid getting it on he leather.

gusser

Reaction score
too many quotes... sorry about that...not sure how to delete it...

I have a 2011, and the chrome and leather on my shifter look new. It's garaged unless being driven, so I wonder if this problem with the chrome is found in trucks that are parked outside. Direct sunlight and/or high temps in the cab might be the culprit. Resting your sweaty/oily right hand on the shifter might also be a factor.

If it was me, I'd be looking for a less expensive solution than that uncomfortable looking $250 B&M shifter. In the mean time I'd give a strip of black Gorilla Tape a try. It looks good, is very durable, and sticks like nobody's business. I'd degrease the chrome with some denatured alcohol, being careful to avoid getting it on he leather.
Thanks for your input Ruger.
I'd guess you are right about the chrome peeling when exposed to the outside elements rather than being garage kept, which mine will be once she is mine and in my garage (Hopefully this weekend).
I am guessing mine was daily driven and parked outside most of the time. And, perhaps, the previous owner(s) may have had acidic, oily skin. Between the two, it doesn't surprise me the chrome is wrinkled and peeling off.

As far as the gorilla tape fix....hmmm... I'm not too handy with stuff like that. I'd guess the results would look worst than it is now. Amateurish at best, so I'll either go OEM or B&M at this point, but thanks for the suggestion. :waytogo:

As far as comfort, I have read some owner reviews on this and other forums and the general consensus is the shifter is robust (it's heavy, all metal) and feels good in the hand even though it is slightly smaller than the OEM part.

Yes, I agree. It's pricey. I could get an OEM replacement from Tasca for about $100 shipped including taxes and it would probably look and feel fine, but one poster mentioned cheap chrome plated plastic really shouldn't be part of a rugged raptors interior, and I tend agree, espcially with a primarily black color scheme, like mine.

So knock off $100 for savings over the OEM part and I'm out about $180 (Maybe less...waiting for Nick to get back to me on pricing for FRF members).. not bad for a quality product made by a manufacturer whose been around for ever and has a great rep.
I'm a gray beard and really don't go for blingy stuff, but c'mon... doesn't this thing look cool installed?? Seems very Baja-esque to me.....:happy107:

1693505377790.png

Maybe I'll change my mind once I drive the truck for a while, but right now, the B&M gets the nod.

Last edited:

badm0t0rfinger

Rocket Man
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That makes me want to put my flight suit on and quote Top Gun.

200.gif

gusser

Reaction score
Well the parts and maintenace items list is growing quickly in cost so looks like I'll have to go with the OEM replacement. Or maybe try to replace the chrome with some sort of film until the budget allows some luxuries....Decisions Decisions.
Hoping to take possession next week. Waiting on title from the dealer it was purchased from. :popcorn:

gusser

Reaction score
Here's a more pro pic taken by the previous dealer. a lot better than the others.
Aside from the mismatched paint on the front bumper and fender flares, it doesn't show the issues I'll have to address but she sure shines up nice!
I'm waiting on needles and pins for the title to arrive... :boxed:

1695060958543.jpeg

badm0t0rfinger

Rocket Man
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's a more pro pic taken by the previous dealer. a lot better than the others.
Aside from the mismatched paint on the front bumper and fender flares, it doesn't show the issues I'll have to address but she sure shines up nice!
I'm waiting on needles and pins for the title to arrive... :boxed:

View attachment 424371
I think Koons Ford is where I bought my truck from. Wild.