GEN 2 [GEN 2] Raptor, I expect to be a beast.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I'd say that in general, anything 'High Performance' is less reliable than its 'regular performance' counterpart. Will the HO EcoBoost (AKA EcoBeast) be as reliable as the 6.2? Probably not, simply because it has more moving parts... but would it be as reliable as the VooDoo V8 with its flat-plane crank and high-rpm power? Probably so! But no matter what, its always a risk with performance vehicles... the engineers try to get 105% out of them and sometimes they just go too far. That's what warranties are for.

I'm betting that even with all that stuff, its still quite a bit lighter... the turbo's and intercoolers don't add too much, and then 3.5L block is both aluminum, and a lot smaller than the 6.2, so I'd bet its lighter.

The technology in transmissions has taken HUGE leaps in the last few years due to MUCH faster TCU's and much higher hydraulic pressure in the trannies. Also, the old 6speed wasn't actually a 'new', the F-150 used the 6R80 transmission, which was based on the ZF 6HP26. That tranny was introduced in 2000 and was first used in the BMW 7-series!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_6HP26_transmission

The new 10speed transmission will benefit from more than 16 years of advancement in computer development, as well as recent advances in engine-transmission optimization. If you get a chance to drive a car with ZF's new 8Speed transmission in it, you'll be amazed at how FAST it shifts between gears and how smooth it is. If you bring this capability to something like the Raptor, the potential improvement in performance is mind-boggling!

I admit I don't know much about this issue, but a quick Google search tells me that its pretty common, so yes, I hope they fix it!

The body was never load-bearing on the F-150, so steel or aluminum, its not doing much to stiffen the chassis. The new aluminum body panels are likely stiffer (if only slightly) than the steel counterpart, but we'll never really know. You'd have to torque-test just the passenger-cell and no-one is going to do that! I will say that the crash-performance of the new truck is way better than the old one, so I bet they get additional stiffness as a side-benefit.

No matter the performance levels, the ecoboost are still having issues. On a truck where reliability is important, all the bells/whistles/mpg/extra power takes a back seat. Warranty and a tow won't help much if you break in Mexico or out in the middle of BFE. But, on the street or local dirt roads, the new motor should be a lot of fun. I like the ecoboost technology and it makes for a powerful package. I just don't believe it's the best route for the Raptor.

It will be lighter for sure, but quite a bit lighter I don't know.

The hardware wasn't the issue with the 6 speed. The programming was. Tune it and it shifts on demand. The new 10 speed may indeed be able to shift gear to gear quicker then the 6 speed. But if the programing makes it quick to up shift, hold over drives, and hesitate on down shift, all in the sake of fuel economy, how does it make it any more enjoyable then the out going 6 speed?

I meant the chassis being stiffer for the aluminum body so that NVH's didn't cause cracking or bonding issues. They went stiffer chassis on the 15s.

---------- Post added at 01:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:39 PM ----------

Won't you be sprouted when the new raptor frame is revealed and both shocks are mounted forward.... (I hope)

I agree. The IWE's will be toast!

Delta Lead
Yukon Joe :baby: :baby:

Run Raptor Run | Great Lakes Raptor Excursions (GLRE)

I'm wondering if a key function of the terrain management system is to help keep the IWEs in one piece. For both the sand and snow modes, wheel spin and torque to the front wheels could be kept within limits by reducing engine torque and speed regardless of what the driver wants. It would be one way to keep from blowing up IWEs without actually fixing anything.

D

Deleted member 12951

No matter the performance levels, the ecoboost are still having issues. On a truck where reliability is important, all the bells/whistles/mpg/extra power takes a back seat. Warranty and a tow won't help much if you break in Mexico or out in the middle of BFE. But, on the street or local dirt roads, the new motor should be a lot of fun. I like the ecoboost technology and it makes for a powerful package. I just don't believe it's the best route for the Raptor.

It will be lighter for sure, but quite a bit lighter I don't know.

The hardware wasn't the issue with the 6 speed. The programming was. Tune it and it shifts on demand. The new 10 speed may indeed be able to shift gear to gear quicker then the 6 speed. But if the programing makes it quick to up shift, hold over drives, and hesitate on down shift, all in the sake of fuel economy, how does it make it any more enjoyable then the out going 6 speed?

I meant the chassis being stiffer for the aluminum body so that NVH's didn't cause cracking or bonding issues. They went stiffer chassis on the 15s.

---------- Post added at 01:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:39 PM ----------

I'm wondering if a key function of the terrain management system is to help keep the IWEs in one piece. For both the sand and snow modes, wheel spin and torque to the front wheels could be kept within limits by reducing engine torque and speed regardless of what the driver wants. It would be one way to keep from blowing up IWEs without actually fixing anything.

Shit what do you know, its not like you are a Ford tech or something vs. a guy who can google

OP
OP

2011SuperCrew

Reaction score
More Info

Some photos I found recently which were interesting.

The suspension photos show some detail of shock orientation and type, as well as showing what appears to be the vacuum lines for the IWE system. Also, the dyno chart shows the EXISTING EcoBoost 3.5L performance vs the old 6.2. I found it surprising that it shows the current motor producing more HP and Torque through _most_ of the rev range except the very top. If the new HO EcoBoost adds HP and torque on top of this, its going to be a very impressive motor indeed!

Attachments

• 2017-ford-raptor-rear-axle.jpg
    2017-ford-raptor-rear-axle.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 178
  • 2017-ford-raptor-suspension.jpg
    2017-ford-raptor-suspension.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 159
  • Ecoboostvs62vs50-HP-Torque.png
    Ecoboostvs62vs50-HP-Torque.png
    79.1 KB · Views: 156

LekRap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All of the above is well and good, but when I saw the 2010 Raptor when it first came out I was blown away. It was so sharp and bad to look at. I really wanted that truck. Now the year is 2016 and the second generation Raptor will come out at the end of the year. Is it me. Am I the only one. I just don't get the same feeling looking at this new truck. It just doesn't excite me the same way.

You're not the only one! I have the exact same feeling. I think some of it has to be a thing of "been there, done that". Since I have a raptor now, I think some of the excitement is diminished. BUT I also think that the kid in you gets exited about a big ass V8 that sounds mean...and styling that is aggressive and as someone else said, looks almost like a hot wheels truck or A Tonka truck that you had when you were a kid. The styling of the new truck just doesn't excite me either, at least from pictures. I will reserve some judgment until I see the truck in person and can drive it. Time will tell, but I think us guys with the gen 1's are sitting pretty. We can just sit back and watch and see how good they are....if they are better than ours. And maybe...just maybe, they'll release a V8 in future years. One can dream, right?

jdruzik

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You're not the only one! I have the exact same feeling. I think some of it has to be a thing of "been there, done that". Since I have a raptor now, I think some of the excitement is diminished. BUT I also think that the kid in you gets exited about a big ass V8 that sounds mean...and styling that is aggressive and as someone else said, looks almost like a hot wheels truck or A Tonka truck that you had when you were a kid. The styling of the new truck just doesn't excite me either, at least from pictures. I will reserve some judgment until I see the truck in person and can drive it. Time will tell, but I think us guys with the gen 1's are sitting pretty. We can just sit back and watch and see how good they are....if they are better than ours. And maybe...just maybe, they'll release a V8 in future years. One can dream, right?

So true... Only time will tell...

LekRap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess my point really is, each person's idea of "the perfect raptor" is going to be different. At this point, I believe the gen 1's are closer to my idea of perfect than the gen 2's.

Not trying to start a debate though. To each their own and I think choice and different options are a good thing. Time will tell.

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
2017 = perfect

When I first found out about the Raptor in '08 I was browsing SVT Performance and found a post of the videos Ford released showing the prototypes in the desert hauling some ass. All of the introduction, including SEMA, was centered around the truck in the dirt. That's what got me excited! I didn't care about the engine, the do-dads, transmission or anything other than how it was going to be driving across the desert. I'm hoping Ford gets back to that and really focuses on the off-road capabilities. Correct me if I'm wrong, but we haven't seen but a few snap shots of the truck in the dirt.

I need to see some videos like this of the new truck

http://youtu.be/9Xfrbk3jovE

http://youtu.be/fcu3qAvKV14

#whatareicons

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.