Gen 1 Raptor vs. SD Engine Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hi all -

I posted about this earlier but wanted to bring this up again to see if anyone else on here has more info. The engine on my 2014 failed (long story). I was able to buy an unused Ford remanufactured E-350 long block for cheap. I've been around the world and back trying to figure out what parts I need to swap in order to get the SD motor to the Raptor specs & power. I talked to Livernois - who sent me to Ford Performance - but I'm still struggling to find some answers before I pay to have the new motor installed to find out I needed to use different heads or something like that.

I was certain the cams were differerent but Ford Performance confirmed today that the cams and phasers are actually identical specs. If that's the case, why is there a -26hp and -29 lb-ft penalty for the SD engine? Is it maybe only a tuning / intake type variance or is there something else I'm not thinking about that needs to be changed in the SD engine?

Any engine builders in here who might know? It's beginning to look like the 6.2 SD engine is actually identical to the 6.2 Raptor engine (other than the obvious ancilary items like oil filter housing, etc).

I'm really trying to find the answer to this since there seems to be a lot of misinformation out there about the topic.

Thanks in advance!

From Ford Performance -
1722461968521.png

From F150hub.com -
1722461825122.png

Current Status-
1722463356413.png

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, for years on this forum it was always suspected that there are three different cams.
One for standard, heavy duty and then the Raptor. I too, never could confirm this either.
There is a difference between Tuning from Ford for all three setups.

The only person I know of on this forum that has played with grinding the cams is, I believe his name is @Cody Dawson
But he hasn't been on here since Nov. 2023

There is a post about the cams.

Last edited:

Nesc204

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Livernois has a short Block they sell for the Raptor. Why didn't you just get that?

Nesc204

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah no doubt its badass, would have loved to had ine when I did the motor, but $$$
Some day when I do a rebuild it's the route I'm going to take. Price QUOTE I got doing a full rebuild on mine was 20k. And I was told that if nothing is wrong with it don't need to do it. Very good Experienced techs told me that engine when well maintained they seem them with 400k miles in fleet vehicles and all the do is routine maintenance and still going strong so I held off