Gen 1 coils

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Sage

Sage

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes, ignition.

Thought maybe someone had a good alternative. There's some name brand stuff that has possibilities. If they put their name on it, it's their reputation.

Ricoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed. If the potential savings is only 25%-35%, then I prefer to go with the guaranteed OEM item (these days/after having been burned a few times over the years). For a savings of 75%, though......depending on what the item is, I may be willing to risk it. Especially if I am doing the labor.
YEP....hard to pass up a good deal....thats why I have my Shelby Raptor...:p

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have tried aftermarket coils from NGK and they lasted a year. I only buy them from Ford now..
Most of the E-bay and Amazon Motorcraft branded coils that are cheap are usually fake.
Google it... those and spark plugs are counterfeit.

stevelp99

Reaction score
I heard it'***** or miss from NKG and MSD coils, ebay ones are a gamble in my opinion, if the price seems too good, it probably is. I just did all my coils plugs and wires, went with Motorcraft. I didn't want to have to do it twice.

Meat2022

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just had my first coil pack arching on me last week. 154 bucks at oreilys for ford oem , military discount also. 171k before I had an issue. I'll replace if it goes out but not before.

FishFreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At those prices you might want to wait to you have a coil issue if everything is running fine now.
This right here is what I'm thinkin'. My Raptor has 136k, needs plugs, but runs like a ***** ape. I'd say the idle isn't as smooth as I'd like, but that could be the cam, firing order, etc. I'm being picky, it's not a 'miss', but you can hear it's not dead smooth. I'm about to change the plugs and wires. How about just replacing the resistors and boots on the coils for now? Isn't that what some call 'rebuilding' the coils?

For those that have replaced the resistors, do I need 8 or 16?

Nesc204

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 190,000 miles on mine. If it ain't broke don't fix it. I had 1 go out on me at 90,000 mile mark, the rest are still going strong. There is no guarantee that replacing them will do anything. I know some people fail at 30,000 miles and some like me that just keep going