Gen 1 as the daily?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

F1502raptor

Reaction score
Been on the hunt for a Gen 2 for a while but never pulled the trigger. A 14’ with 77k came up locally at a large dealership and decided to just see what they were all about

Boy was I impressed, much more than on any of the Gen 2’s I drove. So impressed that I’m considering trading my 20’ XLT FX4 straight across for this 14’. They want $38k for the raptor. Very clean in and out, drives and handles awesome, no rust anywhere (AZ and Texas truck), nothing leaking other than some seepage from the rear diff (maybe from when they filled it last?), no marks on the skid plates or lower control arms, etc. Had no intentions of making an older truck like this my daily but was really impressed by it

But being 6 years older and double the mileage I have on my 20’ I have some concerns. This would be my only vehicle and there are times when at the drop of the hat I may drive 500+ miles and need a reliable vehicle.

Looking for honest feedback (give it to me straight please lol) from guys that have been around these 1st gen’s for a while and used them as your daily. Am I making a dumb move? lol

OP
OP
F

F1502raptor

Reaction score
Few undercarriage pictures. Shocks don’t look to have been rebuilt because no Schrader valve but possibly replaced because it rides well on the road and in the dirt (but I don’t know what new shocks feel like)

IMG_5735.jpeg
IMG_5731.jpeg

rschap1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I drive my '11 daily.
It is nearing 167,000.
Shocks haven't been touched still.
It needs those and I have had some expected maintenance since getting it almost years ago.
Even with needing all the worn out pieces, I love driving it around.
Good luck with your shopping.

OP
OP
F

F1502raptor

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. Also noticed this truck got picked up under that recent lead frame recall. Says to do it when you schedule basic maintenance. Guess it’s that simple if lube crew can preform the fix/reprogram?

I had a little weekend get away planned (500 miles each way) but if I do buy this not sure I want to drive that much unless the recall is performed because I assume I’m on the hook if it downshifts to 1st and wrecks the transmission

03Cobraraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. Also noticed this truck got picked up under that recent lead frame recall. Says to do it when you schedule basic maintenance. Guess it’s that simple if lube crew can preform the fix/reprogram?

I had a little weekend get away planned (500 miles each way) but if I do buy this not sure I want to drive that much unless the recall is performed because I assume I’m on the hook if it downshifts to 1st and wrecks the transmission
I DD my 13 with 130k miles original shocks
Owned for 10 years
I just got back from a way longer trip without having lead frame done.
Shouldn’t be a thought in my opinion

OP
OP
F

F1502raptor

Reaction score
So for all you guy still dailying the 1st gen’s, outside of routine maintenance do you find yourself having to tinder with things or work on the truck much?

Reason I ask is during high school/college I had vehicles that needed to be tinkered with to stay up and running. As a result I didn’t travel far and stayed cooped up locally. When I got enough money to buy an almost new truck I did because I wanted something I just filled with gas and changed oil and drive anywhere I wanted. Thats how’s it’s been for the last 8 or so years and been great. Very convenient to have trucks under warranty and trucks that don’t hardly use it. Not sure I want to jump into a daily that may need regular or semi regular tinkering. As a second car, yeah no problem but not as my main lol