Gaia GPS - a turn for the worse.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Man I have really liked OnX OffRoad the last couple years. But I am sure someone will tell me how it isn't any better than Gaia.

Last edited:

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
t
How’s it work for hiking? Topo maps with reasonable resolution?

That would be more in line with On X BackCountry I think, On X OffRoad is 90%+ for vehicles, even has just motorcycle trails. But hiking trails it just mostly shows trail head location.

I am not sure If one subscription covers covers all three products (they also have On X Hunt)

Last edited:
OP
OP
GordoJay

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
t

That would be more in line with On X BackCountry I think, On X OffRoad is 90%+ for vehicles, even has just motorcycle trails. But hiking trails it just mostly shows trail head location.

I am not sure If on subscription covers covers all three products (they also have On X Hunt)

I don’t hike trails, so I need contour lines.

ACE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ugh that’s too bad. I really liked the app back in the day. Idk if I’ll switch but I put a lot of maps and routes I designed in there and I like the apply car play function. I got the 5 year plan back in 2020 (I think) so we’ll see what happens there. I did notice it wanted to make my new waypoints and stuff public. Gonna have to look into how to stop that unless anyone here knows?

OP
OP
GordoJay

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ugh that’s too bad. I really liked the app back in the day. Idk if I’ll switch but I put a lot of maps and routes I designed in there and I like the apply car play function. I got the 5 year plan back in 2020 (I think) so we’ll see what happens there. I did notice it wanted to make my new waypoints and stuff public. Gonna have to look into how to stop that unless anyone here knows?

I think uou can edit your profile. It asked me after the new download and required login to Outside

Bracamonte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Price hike is a disappointment, and the app invasiveness is even worse. The problem is there is no other mapping system like it.

I use it for all the other layers like avalanche danger, smoke and fire areas, cell service, forest service roads and NatGeo trails. Haven’t found any other service as comprehensive.

Interestingly: I noticed my phone was getting ZAPPED in battery when I did the update. Thanks, I now know why. However, it stopped after a few days and has returned to normal.

I also use the app mainly on a dedicated iPad that doesn’t connect to personal accounts or any internet service. I only hook it up to a hotspot when I need to download maps to it. I run the iPad with no cell service (doesn’t even have the capability) and pair it with the Garmin inReach. The app can do all it wants to report my location but it will never be able to; no Wi-Fi or cell service attached to the device.