Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
F

full-race geoff

Reaction score
i think the housings are ok going forward, but reversing under a load in 4wd is the issue.. the ramp on the pinion/ring coast side causes deflection in reverse and over stresses the housing.. i dont think theres been many failures in drive/forward, but plenty with backing up trailers up hills and things in 4wd.. quick internet search will prove this. my 19 gen2 had a bunch of stress cracks inside around the ring side carrier bearing and started leaking fluid thru the outside.. i replaced it with a junkyard housing last year..
thats really interesting. Does the ford diff cover claim to increase rigidity of the front diff housing? I read through your thread and had to laugh that people were recommending to JB weld or TIG + JB... o_O Im going to buy a spare housing to take apart and see if I can learn anything

The collar in the IWE doesn't have 100% spline engagement IIRC.
thanks for the heads up. years ago Full Race and RCV were "booth neighbors" at SEMA. ill reach out to them and ask for confirmation the gen3 iwe diameters match
The housing in my friend's 21' exploded spectacularly the first time we went snow wheeling. He was in reverse trying to rock out and it majorly popped.
yikes! i saw a few instances of similar stories on reddit. light traction conditions and grenaded front diff housing