FRONT END STILL GRINDIND AFTER RCV INSTALL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Toddster

Toddster

Reaction score
Yes. I thought the problem was IWE, so I went with the RCV and thought it was fixed. Obviously that didnt work out very well. WHat I am trying to do, is go down a different path. Hence the reason for this thread

Since installing the sleeves I’ve only put a few thousand miles in the truck. I’m not sure if that would wear out the areas suggested that quickly. And this is the same thing it was doing prior to installing the rcvs

Antho: thanks for the suggestion. I will go that route next

Gumby

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes. I thought the problem was IWE, so I went with the RCV and thought it was fixed. Obviously that didnt work out very well. WHat I am trying to do, is go down a different path. Hence the reason for this thread

Since installing the sleeves I’ve only put a few thousand miles in the truck. I’m not sure if that would wear out the areas suggested that quickly. And this is the same thing it was doing prior to installing the rcvs

Antho: thanks for the suggestion. I will go that route next

So ....it is possible you didn't fix the problem with the RCV the first time. You just thought you did. That is ok... been there done that my self before. think it was one thing and it is another..... happens to the best of us. Best thing to do is start over from where you're at now. there was a guy here that mounted a go pro under the truck to find a weird problem. ( rattle or something) I thought that was brilliant. Wish I could remember the details.
I have faith in you. post up what you find. there are a lot of smart guys here to help.

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had the actuators replaced and the check valve, prior to instaslling the RCV's. Now, after loing drives (45 mins or more) at high speeds, the grinding is back. It is on both sides and is not as vicious as it was before the RCV's, but it is still pretty significant. It goes away after the truck is stopped.
So the difference now is that the axles, diff, & front driveshaft are always spinning. I'm guessing whoever replaced the actuators, removed those cheesy plastic/aluminum IWE's, etc, wasn't asked to check diff fluid level & condition, inspect the driveshaft, and spin those axles while listening for noise? Easiest thing to do is put it on a lift and check everything out (and record it) while someone is changing speeds up and down. BTW, does it have the OPEN diff or the Torsen unit?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Toddster

Toddster

Reaction score
Hey Tom, thanks for the input. I have to claim ignorance here, I have no idea about OPEN DIFF or TORSEN. Best I can guess is the truck is stock, so whatever was on it from the factory.

I was finally able to get good video (sound) of the problem that I was trying to upload, but the file is too large I guess. The sound is the same as when it first started, so I don't think it was ever the IWEs. ITs on both wheels while turning sharply at slow speeds, worse in reverse. However, it only occurs after driving at constant speeds, above 60mph, for extended periods of time. It goes away almost immediately after the truck is stopped. I dont think the front DIFF fluid has been changed and if any of the dealerships I went to have checked the axles is anyone's guess. All efforts were focused on the IWE problem

Gumby

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hey Tom, thanks for the input. I have to claim ignorance here, I have no idea about OPEN DIFF or TORSEN. Best I can guess is the truck is stock, so whatever was on it from the factory.

I was finally able to get good video (sound) of the problem that I was trying to upload, but the file is too large I guess. The sound is the same as when it first started, so I don't think it was ever the IWEs. ITs on both wheels while turning sharply at slow speeds, worse in reverse. However, it only occurs after driving at constant speeds, above 60mph, for extended periods of time. It goes away almost immediately after the truck is stopped. I dont think the front DIFF fluid has been changed and if any of the dealerships I went to have checked the axles is anyone's guess. All efforts were focused on the IWE problem
Would love to hear the sound. You will have to post it on You Tube and post a link. A clip on here would have to be really short. and when they are that short it is hard to establish what you are hearing. IMO.

OP
OP
Toddster

Toddster

Reaction score
Sounds like the tire is catching on something at full lock. Go pro in fender well might be your friend.
if it was the tire, it would happen all the time, right? and I was able to stand outside while someone else backed up. it sounded metalic, even like metal was binding up

i have visually checked and I cant see where the tires would be hitting/rubbing. There is plenty of space and the tires are OEM

Last edited: