forscan \ Glarefree headlight question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

taquitos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth I just went and reloaded my factory AS BUILT and changed it back to a 4. No DTC's yet but its also day time so the lights aren't on.

I do notice in the configurator that now it says ADAPTIVE DRIVING BEAM instead of GLARE FREE HIGHBEAM. Also it shows the rain sensor as disabled. I turned my wipers on and they wipe like every 30 seconds. But rain sensing wipers is on in the infotainment settings.
When I reset the APIM it switched the rain sensing wipers back to off on the guest profile. Only works properly if it’s on in all profiles for some reason. Similarly shows the rain sensor as disabled in what you’re talking about.

brysgarage

Reaction score
When I reset the APIM it switched the rain sensing wipers back to off on the guest profile. Only works properly if it’s on in all profiles for some reason. Similarly shows the rain sensor as disabled in what you’re talking about.
Thanks, maybe it's just disabled in the SCCM because you control it through the APIM. I keep getting nervous that the 2023's have different configurations for some reason lol.

flockofraptors

Reaction score
Thanks, maybe it's just disabled in the SCCM because you control it through the APIM. I keep getting nervous that the 2023's have different configurations for some reason lol.

I have a March 2023 blend, and I enabled Glare Free a few weeks ago.

At least I thought I did until I read the recent posts here, so if you can simplify what I'm looking for, I can try to help.

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
For context, I did it all with AS BUILT initially and all seemingly worked fine. I then was installing the heated steering wheel when I went back in and saw in SCCM configurator it said I didn't;t have glare free enabled with the 4 in place, and I was getting IPMA DTC's related to the camera and high beams.
This could be just an inconsistency with FORScan automatically populating the checksum at the end of the process when you hit "write" to the module. Do you recall if it prompted you a warning about checksum? Although you made a change, and the correct one (the 4), when you bring it up again outside of the AS BUILT configuration, it might say it's something else other than what it is. I've run into that before, as well as others, and it's just chalked up to a FORScan thing.
When headlights are in auto mode with glare free enabled, I have 3 green indicators: Headlights, Glare Free Ready, Fog lamps. This is the case with a 3 or 4 in place.
Yes, that's correct. At least I think you should be able to turn on/off the foglights while running Glare-Free... @Littlefx4, do you know if one must do the Bambi Mode whilst running Glare-Free to keep functionality of the foglights in general? Mine were always Bambi Mode, so I cannot say if so. Currently, I don't even use the fog switch for anything as I have the triple-fog kit from SPV.

Regardless, that seems that it should be working just fine based on the dashboard lighting icons.
With a 4 in place, when the high beams were active, the fog lamp indicator would shut off but there would be no blue high beam indicator which is what others have reported.
So with a 4 in place as the instructions state, Glare-Free works, but when you manually turn on high beams, they work as intended but the blue indicator doesn't light up? Also, if the fogs turn off, it sounds like you may want to enable the capability to keep them on while you have high beams on.
With a 3 in place, when the high beams are active the fog lamp indicator shuts off and the blue high beam indicator appears above the green glare free ready indicator such as in my photo.
With a 3 in place, everything functions as above, just the indicator light comes on the dash? I gotta say I've never manually turned on my high beams themselves after enabling Glare-Free. I'd say do what works best for your application and whatever works best.
Yes I cleared the DTC's and reran a system check and they came back.
That's weird.
The blue indicator comes on when the glare free high beams are physically on, as in it's dark and the vehicle turns the high beams on automatically.
Is this with a 3 or 4? Glare-Free is its own thing completely separate from having low beams on only, high beams on only, or having adaptive driving beams (the functionality of the light shifting left/right as you turn the wheel).
It stays on so long as the high beams are on and shuts off when the vehicle shuts the high beams off (too much light, going too slow, etc)
The blue high beam indicator should not appear while in Glare-Free mode.
Right, this is what mine looks like with the 3 or the 4.
Unless the Glare-Free is working after meeting all the requirements (speed, glare from a sign, vehicle detected...) as you stated above and it starts blasting the blue high beam indicator in your face? That would be really annoying to have it on and then off and then on and off and on and off all the time while the headlights are adjusting themselves all the time. That's not how it's meant to be.
For what it's worth I just went and reloaded my factory AS BUILT and changed it back to a 4. No DTC's yet but its also day time so the lights aren't on.

I do notice in the configurator that now it says ADAPTIVE DRIVING BEAM instead of GLARE FREE HIGHBEAM. Also it shows the rain sensor as disabled. I turned my wipers on and they wipe like every 30 seconds. But rain sensing wipers is on in the infotainment settings.
I'd say that you've made enough changes for one daylight period. Let's see how it works later this evening and report back to us. I never use rain sensing wipers due to my use of GlassParency, so I cannot help you there. Within the infotainment screen on vehicle settings (I think) does it say ADAPTIVE DRIVING BEAM or GLARE FREE HIGHBEAM?

brysgarage

Reaction score
This could be just an inconsistency with FORScan automatically populating the checksum at the end of the process when you hit "write" to the module. Do you recall if it prompted you a warning about checksum? Although you made a change, and the correct one (the 4), when you bring it up again outside of the AS BUILT configuration, it might say it's something else other than what it is. I've run into that before, as well as others, and it's just chalked up to a FORScan thing.
Yes any time I make a change it prompts me with the warning. With the 4 back in place, the configurator now says ADAPTIVE DRIVING BEAM.
Yes, that's correct. At least I think you should be able to turn on/off the foglights while running Glare-Free... @Littlefx4, do you know if one must do the Bambi Mode whilst running Glare-Free to keep functionality of the foglights in general? Mine were always Bambi Mode, so I cannot say if so. Currently, I don't even use the fog switch for anything as I have the triple-fog kit from SPV.

Regardless, that seems that it should be working just fine based on the dashboard lighting icons.
Yes the fog lights still work as they are supposed to, I can manually turn them on and off. I haven't enabled bambi mode.
So with a 4 in place as the instructions state, Glare-Free works, but when you manually turn on high beams, they work as intended but the blue indicator doesn't light up? Also, if the fogs turn off, it sounds like you may want to enable the capability to keep them on while you have high beams on.
I am not referencing manual operation of the high beams at all in this post. Any reference to the blue high beam indicator is in regards to the glare free operation.
With a 3 in place, everything functions as above, just the indicator light comes on the dash? I gotta say I've never manually turned on my high beams themselves after enabling Glare-Free. I'd say do what works best for your application and whatever works best.
That's weird.

Is this with a 3 or 4? Glare-Free is its own thing completely separate from having low beams on only, high beams on only, or having adaptive driving beams (the functionality of the light shifting left/right as you turn the wheel).

The blue high beam indicator should not appear while in Glare-Free mode.
Correct, It doesn't flash on and off when the high beams are adjusting around objects, only when the high beams are active or not. Even in glare free mode (3 or 4) the high beams technically still turn on and off, they're not just on all of the time.
Unless the Glare-Free is working after meeting all the requirements (speed, glare from a sign, vehicle detected...) as you stated above and it starts blasting the blue high beam indicator in your face? That would be really annoying to have it on and then off and then on and off and on and off all the time while the headlights are adjusting themselves all the time. That's not how it's meant to be.

I'd say that you've made enough changes for one daylight period. Let's see how it works later this evening and report back to us. I never use rain sensing wipers due to my use of GlassParency, so I cannot help you there. Within the infotainment screen on vehicle settings (I think) does it say ADAPTIVE DRIVING BEAM or GLARE FREE HIGHBEAM?
My infotainment has GLARE FREE HIGHBEAM option instead of auto highbeam with a 3 or 4.

Last edited:

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes any time I make a change it prompts me with the warning. With the 4 back in place, the configurator now says ADAPTIVE DRIVING BEAM.
My infotainment has GLARE FREE HIGHBEAM option instead of auto highbeam with a 3 or 4.
You need to stay out of the guided verbal read-through configuration while doing the Glare-Free modification and follow the steps, in order, and once its working, just leave it alone.
Yes the fog lights still work as they are supposed to, I can manually turn them on and off. I haven't enabled bambi mode.
Okay great, at least we know that.
I am not referencing manual operation of the high beams at all in this post. Any reference to the blue high beam indicator is in regards to the glare free operation.
So on your truck, you're saying an IF/THEN statement with regards to your blue high beam indicator, really: IF Glare-Free is enabled, THEN the blue high beam indicator WILL be present. There's no other variable with your truck, such as: IF Glare-Free is enabled, there MAY be a blue high beam indicator. For you, Glare-Free IS blue high beam.

If so, I've never heard of this happening. Glare-Free changes the white "A" which signifies "Auto High Beam" to the green "A" which signifies "Glare-Free". In no aspect should Glare-Free have the blue high beam indicator illuminated unless the high beams are manually selected, in which instance, the green "A" shall be gone.
Correct, It doesn't flash on and off when the high beams are adjusting around objects, only when the high beams are active or not.
Sorry man, but you lost me with this one. Someone smarter than me is going to have to help you with this. The high beams are on all the time in the software after meeting the conditions as stated (speed, glare from a sign, vehicle detected...) I just don't know what is so different about your truck than every other mass-produced F-150 with the same headlights that can make the same changes to enable Glare-Free.
Even in glare free mode (3 or 4) the high beams technically still turn on and off, they're not just on all of the time.
I suppose you could be correct in saying that the light output is not always the high beam, but the high beams are always "on" according to the truck and the computers after meeting the conditions for the Glare-Free.

Unless I'm completely misunderstanding how this works, my truck works flawlessly with the modifications as completed per the instructions posted. Hope you get this figured out!

Littlefx4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@swoop1156, I’m glad you understood my message earlier. Knew what I wanted to say but didn’t come out that way. Lmao

@brysgarage, did you use the guided read-through version to enable glare free or the As Built (changing the actual value) configurator to enable glare free? Do you keep the light switch knob in “Auto”?

My advice, as @swoop1156 stated, use the As Built configurator, especially when having to change multiple codes such as that required for glare free, to avoid the issues you’re having. With regards to your statement about glare free, “they’re not just on all the time”…yes, they are. See attach video on how glare free works; it walks you through the different stages of the high beams.

Use the guided read-through version to “enable/disable” simple stuff like double honk…not for more complex changes like glare free.

brysgarage

Reaction score
@swoop1156, I’m glad you understood my message earlier. Knew what I wanted to say but didn’t come out that way. Lmao

@brysgarage, did you use the guided read-through version to enable glare free or the As Built (changing the actual value) configurator to enable glare free? Do you keep the light switch knob in “Auto”?
I used asbuilt the first time around. Never really had an issue. Thought some DTC’s in IPMA were related but they may not have been. Then when I was back in my SCCM module configurator for heated steering wheel updates I noticed the highbeam selection said ADAPTIVE DRIVING BEAMS and not GLARE FREE HIGHBEAMS. This is what I changed that prompted me to make this post and ask the question of what’s the difference.

3 is glare free in the configurator.
4 is adaptive driving beams.
My advice, as @swoop1156 stated, use the As Built configurator, especially when having to change multiple codes such as that required for glare free, to avoid the issues you’re having. With regards to your statement about glare free, “they’re not just on all the time”…yes, they are. See attach video on how glare free works; it walks you through the different stages of the high beams.
They’re “ready” all the time. But not active. Call it what you want, glare free is a function of the highbeams. And the highbeams don’t come on until certain conditions are met. Even when I had purely used the as built method, which is what I went back to, without Bambi mode on you could see the dogs turning in and off as the highbeams would activate / deactivate in glare free mode. Aka when coming to a stop, passing under bright sections of street lights, not hitting the speed threshold, etc.
Use the guided read-through version to “enable/disable” simple stuff like double honk…not for more complex changes like glare free.

Jmeo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, I have been debating for sometime now wether or not to activate glare free but now I’m completely confused as what to do, haha.

My interpretation of glare free was that the high and low beams were on all the time, and the system would work it’s magic to recognize another vehicle and manipulate the light output to not “glare” the oncoming vehicle,,,, hence the term glare free.

This thread however has brought up a new question in my mind. Does switching to glare free eliminate the “bending” of the headlights upon steering input or does that still stay active?

brysgarage

Reaction score
Wow, I have been debating for sometime now wether or not to activate glare free but now I’m completely confused as what to do, haha.

My interpretation of glare free was that the high and low beams were on all the time, and the system would work it’s magic to recognize another vehicle and manipulate the light output to not “glare” the oncoming vehicle,,,, hence the term glare free.

This thread however has brought up a new question in my mind. Does switching to glare free eliminate the “bending” of the headlights upon steering input or does that still stay active?
No it doesn’t eliminate the bending. I would just follow the original glare free as built instructions. Don’t let me questions confuse you lol. It’s 100% worth it. I’m more just confused about the nuances of forscan and what it calls glare free vs dynamic driving beam. But again, follow the instructions on the f150 forum and do it via as built and you’ll be all set!