Flowmaster vs magnaflow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Maxx2893

Rock and Roll Offroad
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wish I could hear a Spintech 9000 in person. That's the only other one I'm interested in

jeffb1051

Reaction score
I just went with the Flowmaster 40 on my '12. They make a single 3" in dual 2 1/2" out. They mounted the muffler back where the tailpipes were cut( to cut down on the drone) and used a 3" extension pipe going in to make up the difference in length. Sounds mean at start up, idle, in gear and redlined going thru the gears. Local shop for under $200.

Ozraptor

Reaction score
I have flowmaster 40 on my 2012. It sounds great accept for the damn drone. I knew before buying that the 40s had major drone and i thought i can handle it but lately it has been driving me insane. I want to find the right exhaust that sounds as good as the flowmaster 40 but with less drone. Anyone found the perfect combo?

OP
OP
S

svt557

Reaction score
I have flowmaster 40 on my 2012. It sounds great accept for the damn drone. I knew before buying that the 40s had major drone and i thought i can handle it but lately it has been driving me insane. I want to find the right exhaust that sounds as good as the flowmaster 40 but with less drone. Anyone found the perfect combo?

The shop I went to held up the Magnaflow and then the Flowmaster for me as the first two mufflers for a baseline. I went into the shop convinced I wanted a Magnaflow since I was over the drone of my FM 40 on my '10 F150 prior to the Raptor. The guys at the shop hold them up and dont tell you which is which until after you decide. I picked the FM--to be fair, it may have been because it was familiar to me. However, I went into the shop looking for "a notch or two more" than stock and left with the muffler the guys at the shop said was the "most I can wake this up without doing a cat-back" which was FM super 10. Prior to this, I had never heard of super 10, but I do like it. Had it for a few days now, and there is a slight drone at highway speeds, but I honestly think its less than I had on my FM40 on my 5.4 Lariat. My shop also told me that if I couldnt live with it after a few weeks to bring it back and I could swap it out--that gave me the peace of mind to go with the "louder" super 10, knowing that I could re-evaluate if I didnt like it.
I think Ill stick with it.

On another note, I just drove with a buddy to go pick up his Raptor in Houston today (about 8 hours round trip)--he traded in a Dodge Larime with a FM 40 on it. Im certain the Dodge with the FM40 was louder than my Raptor with the Super 10.

nohel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The muffler shop will give me credit towards a different muffler if I decide to change after a few weeks. Ill keep you posted

Sweet make a video so we can hear it then trade it in and make a new video. keep doing that you could be our muffler test guy.:gr_grin:

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have been tempted for several years to swap out the factory muffler for the Magnaflow P/N 12388, which is almost a perfect replacement in terms of length and inlet/outlet diameters. There is one guy here who has done it and he reports good things, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.