Flowmaster vs magnaflow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

svt557

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been done already--I did use the search function but didnt find much.

Im wondering if anyone has done just a muffler replacement on stock exahust. I got into my '13 Raptor from a '10 F150 Lariat that had a Flowmaster 40 series. I thought it (5.4) sounded great, until I got into my stock 6.2 Raptor and realized how nice and quiet the cab was with the stock exhaust. Im not looking to spend a bunch of money on anything fancy, thats why Im limiting this to the basic Flowmaster vs Magnaflow (I also know that each brand has several degrees on sound available). Youtube and other videos have been helpful, but you all know how that is---not the same.

Im not trying to rattle the windows, but I would like to hear it when I start in from inside the house and when I stomp on it. I know that takes us into the "drone" issue as far as highway speeds, but seeing as though Im coming from a loud exhaust, I think I can handle at least moderate levels of drone in the cab.

Im just curious if anyone has done just the muffler (not the entire cat-back--I like the single to dual right rear exhaust look, even painted mine black to match the truck)? If so, was there a significant difference? Im looking to go up only a "notch or two" over stock 6.2 sound. That said, more noise is better than less--especially with a Raptor.
Thanks

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
lots of people have done this. it will make a difference. from what your saying i would look into getting a somewhat large magnaflow muffler. it will have a nice deep tone and let u know its there when u go WOT but will not be LOUD. cant help u much as i put in a magnapack, which is beastmode 24/7 loud

Maxx2893

Rock and Roll Offroad
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Same boat as Nick. But after having the Magnapack , I'll probably never go back to Flowmaster. I just like the different tone Magnaflow gives you. More rumbly and raw vs. the smooth sound of Flowmaster

OP
OP
S

svt557

Reaction score
Same boat as Nick. But after having the Magnapack , I'll probably never go back to Flowmaster. I just like the different tone Magnaflow gives you. More rumbly and raw vs. the smooth sound of Flowmaster

Did you guys leave the resonator on ?

firematt422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just for ***** and giggles... here's what a magnapack looks like next to the stock set up. Would not recommend this or a Flowmaster super 10 if you don't want drone. This guy rattles the rear window.

IMAG0636_zpsd2c7ea22.jpg

Crikk

FRF Lady
FRF Lady
Reaction score
I just had a flowmaster 50 series installed last week in place of the stock muffler, and for the most part I like it. I like the sound at start up and idle a lot, I like the rumble at anything less then half throttle. The truck is LOUD at wide open throttle, but to me it just seems like a lot of noise. It sounds more like a lot of air moving instead of a nice tone. I went with the 50 over the 40 because there is no drone with the 50, and there isn't. I did have Magnaflow on my last truck a 2010 FX4 and I like the sound better but it was to as loud. I must say though for the $200 bucks, and the hour it took (called around and found a close shop with it in stock) I am glad I did it!! It rained yesterday and I drove home in off road mode and the traction control off and loved it!! Sounds like heaven when powersliding!!!

Maxx2893

Rock and Roll Offroad
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you guys leave the resonator on ?

No resonator on the 2010's

Just for ***** and giggles... here's what a magnapack looks like next to the stock set up. Would not recommend this or a Flowmaster super 10 if you don't want drone. This guy rattles the rear window.

IMAG0636_zpsd2c7ea22.jpg

Heck yeah, there's not much to the magnapack

I just had a flowmaster 50 series installed last week in place of the stock muffler, and for the most part I like it. I like the sound at start up and idle a lot, I like the rumble at anything less then half throttle. The truck is LOUD at wide open throttle, but to me it just seems like a lot of noise. It sounds more like a lot of air moving instead of a nice tone. I went with the 50 over the 40 because there is no drone with the 50, and there isn't. I did have Magnaflow on my last truck a 2010 FX4 and I like the sound better but it was to as loud. I must say though for the $200 bucks, and the hour it took (called around and found a close shop with it in stock) I am glad I did it!! It rained yesterday and I drove home in off road mode and the traction control off and loved it!! Sounds like heaven when powersliding!!!

This is why I changed my exhaust, I had a super 40 on first. Idle sounded fine, but it just had a wooshing air sound under heavy throttle. Best way I can describe it is a loud sssssshhhhhhhhhhh sound mixed with a smooth deep tone. But the air sound was louder than the deep tone. Absolutely hated that and I'm lead footed so I heard it often. Swapped mufflers and everything is fine now, I couldn't be happier with the sound.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

svt557

Reaction score

awesome. Today I found a shop in town that held several mufflers in place so I could hear the differences. I had Flowmaster 40 on my last F150 and it sounded good but I felt like it was a little loud. I decided on a Flowmaster super 10 which the guy at the muffler shop said was louder. Driving the Raptor home though, it seems like there is less drone than the FM40. So for now, Im staying with the FM super 10 and really like the sound. The muffler shop will give me credit towards a different muffler if I decide to change after a few weeks. Ill keep you posted

Magnum PI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2011 SCREW. resonator delete and Flowmaster 40 series. I love it yes it's a little louder then the 50. Start it us nice with a roar that turns into a nice deep gurgle. When driving normally it's not to loud but just right. When you floor it yes it gets really loud. I have driven plenty of times on the highway and there is a little bit of drone. Nothing way to annoying but pleasurable at least to me. My 2 cents.

2004boss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I havnt seen anyone on here mention them so I figured ill let you guys in on another option. Spintech makes some great mufflers with a very unique sound. I have their side exit on my mustang and I love it. Ill be building my exhaust around their mufflers when my truck gets in.

I like the magnaflow over the flowmaster. With that being said, I believe all the glass pack style mufflers sound pretty much the same (magnaflow, borla, dynomax etc). The exception being the volume.

-Gary