Flat Towing Nightmare

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What a F’n sociopath weirdo….you’re reposting a story about a truck that burned 2x? Why?

GWC

Reaction score
Had two transmissions replaced on mine. Turns out the connection from the bus to truck does not trickle charge the battery. When the battery gets into saver mode, the neutral tow gets disabled causing the transmission to over heat. Now every time I stop I start the truck & let it run for about 10 minutes.

gtrob18raptor

Reaction score
Had two transmissions replaced on mine. Turns out the connection from the bus to truck does not trickle charge the battery. When the battery gets into saver mode, the neutral tow gets disabled causing the transmission to over heat. Now every time I stop I start the truck & let it run for about 10 minutes.
Is saver mode to protect the battery from too low a charge so it starts and basically disconnects everything? Or is saver mode what it goes in to if you don't start it for a few hours? I'm trying to figure out how the 10 mins helps. I think mine went in to a battery saver mode when we were out of town for a month, but I can't figure out how that would apply in this story? We are considering trading our bumper pull for a Class A and flat towing -- that's why I'm asking.

91Eunos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wonder if a solar trickle charger on the dashboard of the truck being towed would be enough to keep the battery charged to avoid this issue?

Removing the drive shafts is pretty easy too, but not as easy as just putting it on a trailer! LoL

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I believe the truck isn't wired for lights operation in neutral tow. So the wiring connection from the tow vehicle to the truck is customers responsibly. It wouldn't take more than 10 minutes to wire the charging circuit from the tow vehicle directly to the battery.

This isn't a Ford problem it is a owner/installer problem.