Drove a Gen 2 for the first time - Pros and Cons

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

derklink

Reaction score
Hi all!

I'm in the market for a full size truck (have had mid-size trucks for the past 8 years) and the Raptor came onto my radar. I did a fair amount of research (Cam-Phasers, rebuilding shocks, leaking sunroof etc.) but of course needed to drive it. I have to say that I am considering everything from a regular F-150 2.7 Ecoboost to the Raptor.

Vehicle driven:
802A package
40k-ish miles
Asking price around $50k
Cam-Phasers not done yet but did not hear any rattle on cold start

Pros:
- Amazing suspension
- Surprisingly easy to maneuver (expected a semi-truck feeling)
- Powerful engine, fun to drive!
- Received a new transmission at 38k miles (this could also be a con I guess)

Cons:
- Sound was a little meh but ok
- Parking in tight spots could be challenging
- Technically "overkill" for using it 99% on the street
- B&O sound system was meh (the one in my Mustang, though not great, sounds better)
- Ventilated seats were meh (the ones in my Mustang seem to be better)
- The shifts of the 10-speed were not that smooth and seemed like it was hunting for gears; drove in normal and in sport mode
- Extended warranty absolutely necessary IMO

I have to say I'm not a 100% sold on it but maybe it is not for me. On the other hand, I have yet to drive a regular F150 to experience the difference.

Fully aware that only I can make the decision. Just looking for some advice I guess from Raptor owners and to see if I am missing anything.

All comments are welcome - thank you!

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For me, the Raptor is incomparable to any other F150, so you really have to consider your priorities. Fuel mileage, price, towing capability, personal preferences, looks, performance. For me, I would not purchase that specific truck if it has had the tranny replaced already, it’s just better peace of mind to get a truck with a better history. Parking wise, just the truck being what it was built for. I do agree, the sound system sucks, but that’s easily fixable and what OEM sound system really sounds great on any truck that is reasonably priced. The 10r80 loves to be in the highest gear possible, so that’s why it feels sluggish and always hunting for gears. Sport mode fixes this for me. All in all, it’s up to you and what your priorities are.

BossRaptor

Reaction score
You can ask a Ford dealer service department to run the vin in there oasis report and see if the cam phasers have been done or not and at what date and miles. They would have all other service history of the truck in there if serviced at a Ford dealership. Ford ESP plan would be 2300-2800 bucks if your wanting peace of mind. I believe the service department needs one hour of time to inspect the truck and give the green light or not on the warranty . Buy what you want to. These trucks are not cheap, but there a lot of fun. That price isn't all that bad for the miles it has on it.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
99% street means you’d be wasting 99% of the cost difference between a regular F150 4x4 vs. a Raptor, with the added bonus that you can tow more with a regular F150.

If you want to go off roading, maybe the Raptor can fit into your life. But if you’re just rocking it on the street and are going to cruise starbucks drive thru, save the Raptor for an enthusiast.

If that’s you in the making, go for it but there are not a lot of Raptors comparatively and it isn’t you, then move on.

julien194b

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome, your point of view Pro/cons is not so bad, just ask you again if you really need this type of truck, not offroading at all a raptor is a pitty but it's up to you . Good luck

OP
OP
D

derklink

Reaction score
Thank you all for your feedback! My use case is definitely not off-road focused but I dare to say I'm probably with the vast majority of Raptor owners on that. Probably different here on the forum and if off-roading is a focus, the truck is a no-brainer. I will check out a regular F150 and report back.