Driveline grinding issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an ‘18 SCREW, and a few months ago I noticed an odd grinding type sound when the truck was in 2wd after having been in 4wd/4A. Once accelerating from a stop, it seems like a part of the driveline/driveshaft grinds audibly (and you can feel it) for a second or two, and then it feels like whatever part it is syncs/seats, and it stops. It’s not the transmission...shifts occur independently of the grinding issue. It doesn’t do it all the time, and, of course, it wouldn’t do it at the dealership/they couldn’t find anything wrong. The last time it did it was over this past weekend...I put the truck in and out of 4A a few times, and it stopped, for now.

Has anyone had a similar issue, or does anyone know what part/system is doing this? TIA.

Last edited:

brettmess24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an ‘18 SCREW, and a few months ago I noticed an odd grinding type sound when the truck was in 2wd after having been in 4wd/4A. Once accelerating from a stop, it seems like a part of the driveline/driveshaft grinds audibly (and you can feel it) for a second or two, and then it feels like whatever part it is syncs/seats, and it stops. It’s not the transmission...shifts occur independently of the grinding issue. It doesn’t do it all the time, and, of course, it wouldn’t do it at the dealership/they couldn’t find anything wrong. The last time it did it over the weekend, a put the truck in and out of 4A a few times, and it stopped, for now.

Has anyone had a similar issue, or does anyone know what part/system is doing this? TIA.

May be your vacuum check valve starting to fail. Check under the hood it’s on the fire wall by your brake fluid reservoir and if you have the black one(blue is the new one and part# below)on the right they fail. It’s all of $9 that’s where I would start. Buy a spare for the trail.

0097fef89f67f215336ec857e154652c.jpg
b9e21d8a4157f79a44742e6fdd27b438.jpg
4c609529a860eb33bc58d10d0acc313e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brettmess24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear an audible plastic paddling type sound when in gear and not moving but I believe that is a vibration rattle. Trying to track that one down is a lot of fun!

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You can tell if the vacuum line is your problem if the noise disappears when using 4a. And if that is the case, leave it in 4a until you can fix the vacuum line to prevent damaging other components.

brettmess24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can tell if the vacuum line is your problem if the noise disappears when using 4a. And if that is the case, leave it in 4a until you can fix the vacuum line to prevent damaging other components.

Did you mean to say 4HI? 4A will go in and out of 4WD.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Did you mean to say 4HI? 4A will go in and out of 4WD.

4a makes this noise go away because it keeps the front hubs locked. Weak vacuum pressure is what prevents the front hub from disengaging in 2h and this incomplete disengagement is what causes the grinding noise. 4a adjusts torque using clutch plates in the transmission and leaves the front hubs locked all the time. And is why the noise will go away if it is an IWE vacuum problem.

OP
OP
lawdog

lawdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Excellent responses, FRF...thank you! I will start with the vacuum line and see what that does.

This is the kind of stuff that infuriates me about Ford...I have mentioned this issue at three service visits, including one where they kept the truck overnight to inspect the transmission issues now mostly cured by the recent 2018 TSB. I had to mention that to the techs, too. Once I got the part number I googled it, and it seems like it's a pretty common issue, and a <$10 fix. Ridiculous.

Thanks again for the FRF knowledge base!

Last edited:

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good info here gents. I don't have this issue but I'll be checking which version of the check valve I've got anyway and order the newer version if I have the older one. Heck I may order one either way as a spare. $9 is cheap insurance.

brettmess24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tascaparts.com has them for $6.89 each order two shipped for $23 and some change.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just left the Tasca website. Was about to order one until I saw they wanted over $10 to ship a $7 item so I'll just stop by the local ford parts counter instead.