Does adding a CAI require changing the IAT sensor or tuning?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonecapone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am ready to start making some performance mods on my 2024 Raptor. I decided to start small with a CAI. Just like the title stated, does changing to a CAI with a larger diameter pipe like the S&B require any changes to the IAT sensor or tuning?

Question two is does adding a CAI affect the factory warranty at all?

Thanks,
Tone

Last edited:

Waterfowler41

Reaction score
I am ready to start making some performance mods on my 2024 Raptor. I decided to start small with a CAI. Just like the title stated, does changing to a CAI with a larger diameter pipe like the S&B require any changes to the IAT sensor or tuning?

Thanks,
Tone
A tune is not required when you add a CAI. I run a Corsa intake without issue. A tune can be beneficial to maximize the performance of any upgrade you make to the truck.

An air intake will only affect warranty if the dealership reviewing and submitting any warranty claim work to Ford says the air intake is the root cause of the issue. This is hit or miss with dealerships these days. My experience, I've run air intakes on every car and truck I owned and never had an issue with a dealer saying I can get warranty work completed because of my intake.

All that said, there is two trains of thoughts with air intakes.
1. The hard NO crowd: Most will point out that there is no measurable gain at the wheels when adding a CAI and the factory is all the CAI you need. To an extent this is true if you are looking for a horsepower return on every single dollar you spend on each part. An intake may not be the place to start if this is your goal. Tune is probably your best starting point but out goes your powertrain warranty.

2. Then there is the, "there are other positives to consider" crowd: Some quality intakes come with better air filters versus stock (for example, Donaldson power core intake with Corsa), some improve sound (who doesn't like to hear turbos), and all give you a chance to work on your truck and improve the aesthetics of your engine bay. This is the group most of us fall into and this is why CAIs are a great project because its really not that expensive of a project to knock out.

Will a CAI give you noticeable gains? Nope, very unlikely. Will it make your truck more fun to drive? Most likely.

If you have the $$ and like working on your truck, I say go for it!

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
There is nothing tangible to be gained from an intake pipe on an EB Raptor since 2017. You can definitely get a reduction in performance with poorly designed crap. There are certainly intangibles like having less money for the tune that results in tangible “gains”. You can “feel” that something in your head that you have made a modification to your vehicle such as for bling effect. This is a real thing and not a negative, unless you actually wont admit that it is really only for the bling factor. Ive made changes just because I like it a certain way vs stock. Just do it.

Also realize that any EB Raptor engine system change that doesn't involve or require tuning is just for your bling/feelings.

Reaction score

Thanks,
Tone
I have the Cobb Carbon Fiber CAI installed on my truck and never had an issue for the few months I ran it without a tune. I would definitely recommend tuning the truck with @GooseTuned as the difference is night and day with the stage 2 tune and if you take it further and upgrade the injectors to be able to run E85 you will be extremely impressed with the performance of the truck.