Do you eliminate the need for a throttle control unit with a tune?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rjlljr

Reaction score
The first thing I noticed driving the truck was the terrible feel of the throttle. As I await my truck on order I am in the process of researching and purchasing mods.

I was going to put on a throttle control from Pedal Commander, but then when reading through the Cobb tuning system's notes it looks like there is throttle control within the unit.

Does anyone have any clarity on this?

Thanks!

alphatwox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The first thing I noticed driving the truck was the terrible feel of the throttle. As I await my truck on order I am in the process of researching and purchasing mods.

I was going to put on a throttle control from Pedal Commander, but then when reading through the Cobb tuning system's notes it looks like there is throttle control within the unit.

Does anyone have any clarity on this?

Thanks!
That’s correct. You can always add a PC if needed without doing anything extra like tunes and what not. But if you are adding some other gear, a tune would be the way to go. If you are just staying stock, grab the PC and keep on rolling...

hedonist222

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes.

I had the throttle command for a month. Used the car everyday.

I returned the pedal commander and for an mpt tune.

Not only is throttle enhanced similar to the setting I had on my pedal commander, but it feels like o have a bit more horse power.

Here are two things that the mpt tune fixed for me:

1- engine rpm (with no pedal pressing):
The car runs faster/smoother when I'm maneuvering in parking lots or parking garages. When I let off throttle to slow down for a turn, the car doesn't feel like the rpm has lowered much.

2- four or five times a week in slow traffic or parking lot maneuvering, I'll almost crash into a car.
Because I'll steadily be giving it throttle, then it'll up shift into 3rd dewgrey and the car will physically lurch forward.
The sudden lurch from reduced engine braking is very unintuitive.

It happens to me every day at the entrance to the underground parking at work.
I stop at the entrance barrier, wave my security card and the barrier opens.
Now the path down is circling and tight.
As soon as the car nose dips downwards and I start moving forward, it will shift into 3rd from 1st and lurch forward.
Until I got the mpt tune, I had to mentally remember to prevent an up shift by slightly tapping the brakes.

With the mpt tune it shifts into 2nd and the lurch is mild.

With regards to the pedal commander, check my post on the 'pedal commander awesomeness' thread.

ljn21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Most tuners are able to adjust throttle tipnin/sensitivity, shift firmness, etc to your liking. Some of the available devices like the accessport allow you to make the adjustments yourself to your own liking even

Quaesta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get a Cobb tune which allows you to also adjust the throttle control for each drive mode.

FerdFteen

Reaction score
+1 for the Cobb AP. I run a Stage 2 93 octane tune from Goosetuned with an AP. I used to use a pedal commander and it threw my truck into limp mode multiple times. Never had an issue yet with the AP throttle adjustments.

SS308

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The advantage of the Pedal Commander is that it does NOT modify the computer. Where the modules do. I run both because I can modify the throttle response faster with the PC than the computer module...ie switching from city to towing and vice versa.
MHO