Differential and transfer case service needed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dealer wanted over 1k for a friend’s Q7 for rear diff only. Oil from dealer is insanely priced too.
Yeah they are going to be charging at least 30 bucks a quart for synthetic gear oil. Probably more towards 40-50. When the time comes Im going to see if my Ford dealer will let me bring my own fluids for gear oil changes like they do for engine oil.

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mind blowing that these diffs don't have a drainplug. What are dealers charging for TC/F&R diffs?
That's why everyone is replacing the rear with the Spicer so they can easily drain and refill every 20K from there on out. The front doesnt need to be replaced as often unless you are driving in 4 wheel constantly.

Avoid the dealer at all costs and find an off road shop that will do a better job for half the price if you are feeling lazy or too busy. Worst place to get any service done is the dealer. It doesn't void the warranty.

Bubbasuwannee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rear is easy. I put together a how to on installing the Spicer/Ford perf diff cover on my channel. The Tc is super easy and has always looked dark when I’ve changed it. Front isn’t bad, but definitely need an extraction tool. I use a Mityvac hooked up to my air compressor. Use it all the time for my boat maintenance and other applications.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My gen2 has 75k miles on it now…so far I’ve done the following & the mileage ranges for interval between changes is just my own guideline I can’t recall what the manual recommends for all of them:

Front diff 2x by dealer every 35-50k

Rear diff 2x by myself & swapped cover out for ford performance one w/ drain plug I do this every 30-40k

T-Case done twice, 1x by me & 1x by dealer- also every 35-40k (good idea to do same time as front diff imo)

Transmission fluid/filter swapped 1x by dealer @ around 65-70k, depending on use I’d do the trans by 75k i personally wouldn’t wait for 100k but also think 50k for trans fluid would be under severe use

I do the engine oil/filter every 5k miles

I use amsoil fluids for everything except on the trans & front diff since the dealer was doing them I just had them use the recommended ford fluids

I’ve also swapped spark plugs 1x @ 45k & plan on doing them again next oil change around 80k miles used the ford performance plugs

I’ve had the coolant flushed 1x @ 50k miles

I’ve changed the air filter 2x a year & the cabin air filter 2x a year

I’ve had zero issues w/ the truck, just completed a 650 mile road trip to Canada towing 2 waverunners & packing a weeks worth of gear + 2 Doberman pinschers & 2 boys + 1 wife lol- averaged 13.5mpg doing around 73-75