GEN 2 Dealership wouldn't allow me to test drive their Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Non-Sense

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If they don’t let you test drive a vehicle that you’re going to invest that much in, walk away. No questions. Another thing to keep in mind, if you’re looking for an extended warranty after you take delivery, they’ll try to screw you on that too. I just took delivery and they quoted me $1200 more than what I was quoted by Flood Ford online for the PremiumCare Plan. I got the 6 year/ 100,000 mile plan and I’m going to drive it like I stole it. This thing is the baddest ass vehicle I’ve ever owned. A big upgrade from the 4Runner TRD I traded in.

Last edited:

solarwinds

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they don’t let you test drive a vehicle that you’re going to invest that much in, walk away. No questions. Another thing to keep in mind, if you’re looking for an extended warranty after you take delivery, they’ll try to screw you on that too. I just took delivery and they quoted me $1200 more than what I was quoted by Flood Ford online for the PremiumCare Plan. I got the 6 year/ 100,000 mile plan and I’m going to drive it like I stole it. This thing is the baddest ass vehicle I’ve ever owned. A big upgrade from the 4Runner TRD I traded in.
totaly agree. walk away and dont look back. i hear the zr2 will give you a loaner for a week to decide.

pchmotoho

Reaction score
the dealership I bought mine from in So. Cal said it is rare that they will let you test drive one. They said it is case by case basis, only after they run your credit.

They offered me a test drive but I had already driven a friends so I declined.
I can't say I blame them as they seem to still have no problem selling all they can get even at ridiculous ADMs most of the time.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
This is fairly common practice.

Lets face it, people shopping a Raptor know they want a Raptor. My Raptor is the very first truck I've ever owned and the only full sized truck I've ever driven, and even I knew I wanted a Raptor. I didn't test drive it until the day it was delivered to the dealership and that was only after I was done doing my paper work and qualifying with my sales guy and just before walking into the finance office, and that test drive was just to make sure there wasn't anything obviously wrong with the truck.

The dealerships know this, they also know if you don't buy it, someone else will shortly thereafter, provided they aren't complete ******** with an unreasonable markup.

ROCKETW19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I'm new here, and considering a Raptor. I went to Maxwell Ford in Austin, which had at least 4 Raptors on their lot.

The sales guy said "No" to a test drive. He indicated that don't permit test drives for Raptors. :mad:

I understand it's a $70k+ truck...but come on now. Who wants to drop that kind of money, and not be able to at least drive it for a couple of miles.

I have a Dodge Challenger Hellcat (msrp $73k), and numerous dealerships permitted me to test drive their hellcats.

Just venting for now. I'm hoping Covert Ford (also in Austin) will let me take their raptor out....the search is on! :happy3:

they let you drive. hell cat but not a Raptor? I tried to drive a hell cat wasn't gonna buy it just wanted to rip it. they said no, you have to go thru all the steps then you can drive it.
the new 2018 raptor the guy flat out said no. it was in the showroom and it was 101K dollars lol. when I bought my 2014 I flew to Boise dude picked me up he pretty much made me drive it then we did paper work and I drove home. I think its the dealer or sales guy who lets it go or not. the 2 I didn't want to buy they wouldn't let me drive like they knew lol. I still want to rip a hell cat.

DRAGONFLY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are lucky If they even let you sit in one, the doors are always locked and they dont offer to unlock them. Peering through the glass was always my experience. The 1st time i drove a Raptor was when i paid for it.
Beyond the mechanics who perform the P.D.I and the guys who transport it to the dealership, I am glad they dont let anyone test drive it, racking up over a hundred miles is easily done if they start giving test drives and what paying customer wants to see that.

Helopilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are lucky If they even let you sit in one, the doors are always locked and they dont offer to unlock them. Peering through the glass was always my experience. The 1st time i drove a Raptor was when i paid for it.
Beyond the mechanics who perform the P.D.I and the guys who transport it to the dealership, I am glad they dont let anyone test drive it, racking up over a hundred miles is easily done if they start giving test drives and what paying customer wants to see that.

I found a couple of dealerships that left one open sitting in the showroom and was able to get in them, but I agree totally on the concept of not wanting to buy a “new” car that has 300-400 ‘test-drive’ miles on it. The last thing I want to buy is a performance geared vehicle (and I will use that term loosely for a pickup truck, but you know what I mean) that some snot-nosed GM’s son or squirrelly salesman took out and abused in it’s first 100 miles of life. My dealership just got a used 17 in with 23k miles and he said to take it out for a spin. I have no trouble seeing that done as it is a used car, but I don’t want to spend 60-70k on a ‘used’ new truck!