Chance to purchase a Gen1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

llemaster

Reaction score
Hi guys, I’m new here and have the chance to purchase a 2013 6.2L svt raptor. However I’m hesitant because it does have 165,000 miles on it and would be for daily driving. With that being said though maintenance by Ford was done regularly along with the typical 100k mile maintenance and things like the shocks being rebuilt and some upgrades (exhaust, shell for bed). She was also a pavement princess for the most part with only towing twice and never off roading hard along with being spotless under the hood. 20k for it… do you guys think it’s worth/ is there anything to check?

Last edited:

CleverGirl_

Cabin Clown
Reaction score
do you need a raptor? Do you like spending double on parts and doing fluid changes every 5k? Do you fear damaging the front and rear body panels because they are almost impossible to replace? (Mine is in the body shop right now)

I’ll say it. In retrospect I should have gotten a 5.0 king ranch but here we are.

Gumby

FRF Addict
Reaction score
do you need a raptor? Do you like spending double on parts and doing fluid changes every 5k? Do you fear damaging the front and rear body panels because they are almost impossible to replace? (Mine is in the body shop right now)

I’ll say it. In retrospect I should have gotten a 5.0 king ranch but here we are.
It is not a cheep truck to own for sure I can do most fixes my self witch helps a lot. I would say that milage 22-26k depending on how clean it is. I got mine for 20k with 168k Roush..... Had/has some problems I will get them lined out at some point.

mprice1234

SVT Gen 1 Rules
Reaction score
Raptor is not easy on the wallet as a daily driver or when it comes to maintenance. You might want to consider something a little more practical for a daily driver unless you are only drive like 10 miles to and from work a day.

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How long is your commute/how many miles do you estimate putting on a year? The Raptor is expensive, but the good part is the previous owner(s) took nearly all the most expensive part of vehicle ownership depreciation. Sounds like it was well maintained. I wouldn't personally buy an 11 year old truck with 165K miles, but a Raptor for 20K...not gonna beat that very easily.

You don't mean that....

zaiiake

Reaction score
I have 178k on my 2014 supercrew, got it at 125k, they're amazing trucks and just had my first big issue (A/C condenser leak). You have to remove the whole dash which sucks. Its a great truck and worth it if you take care of it.

-You should definitely look at shocks theyre 1k just for rebuilt through a company like TSW offroad. When mine go bad theyll start to cause a weird bucking at low rpms with slow acceleration around 50-60mph.
- for the 4wd system is a vacuum system that engages the front dif and can be deleted through a iwe delete kit, look up where the lines are if you want that system properly functional and OEM.
- You should probably ask about suspension parts that have been replaced. and whats been changed or the VIN to see if it was taken somewhere for work.
-150k is when your suppose to do a tranny oil change.
- the spark plugs are usually needed to be changed around 30k and theres 16 which could be a decent chunk of change if they skipped the 150k interval for it.
-if its really been a road princess awesome, but you can check the gap between the cab and truck bed at the top middle and bottom for even spacing, if theres a noticable difference in the gap points its probably been heavily offroading.
-some raptors(mine included) has a bad time with blender door actuators which changes the hot/cold of your ac/heater system if you start the truck turn on the climate system and hear clicks from inside the dash theyre not calibrated right or just worn and cost $30 ea with all of them being a nightmare to get to.
-the truck has an oversight with the fuel relay pump and the fuse can melt in the engine bay fuse box. Theres a kit to relocate it so it doesnt have that chance, you should ask about it, if it hasnt been done maybe think about doing it, it isnt hard and is a nice ease of mind.

There are other things but this is already too long, i can give you a bigger list if you want just let me know.

Highwayman

Reaction score
I have 178k on my 2014 supercrew, got it at 125k, they're amazing trucks and just had my first big issue (A/C condenser leak). You have to remove the whole dash which sucks. Its a great truck and worth it if you take care of it.

-You should definitely look at shocks theyre 1k just for rebuilt through a company like TSW offroad. When mine go bad theyll start to cause a weird bucking at low rpms with slow acceleration around 50-60mph.
- for the 4wd system is a vacuum system that engages the front dif and can be deleted through a iwe delete kit, look up where the lines are if you want that system properly functional and OEM.
- You should probably ask about suspension parts that have been replaced. and whats been changed or the VIN to see if it was taken somewhere for work.
-150k is when your suppose to do a tranny oil change.
- the spark plugs are usually needed to be changed around 30k and theres 16 which could be a decent chunk of change if they skipped the 150k interval for it.
-if its really been a road princess awesome, but you can check the gap between the cab and truck bed at the top middle and bottom for even spacing, if theres a noticable difference in the gap points its probably been heavily offroading.
-some raptors(mine included) has a bad time with blender door actuators which changes the hot/cold of your ac/heater system if you start the truck turn on the climate system and hear clicks from inside the dash theyre not calibrated right or just worn and cost $30 ea with all of them being a nightmare to get to.
-the truck has an oversight with the fuel relay pump and the fuse can melt in the engine bay fuse box. Theres a kit to relocate it so it doesnt have that chance, you should ask about it, if it hasnt been done maybe think about doing it, it isnt hard and is a nice ease of mind.

There are other things but this is already too long, i can give you a bigger list if you want just let me know.

Id hope they replaced the evaporator core... If they tore apart your dash for the condenser, they ripped you off.

zaiiake

Reaction score
Id hope they replaced the evaporator core... If they tore apart your dash for the condenser, they ripped you off.
Oh no they quoted me 4k and broke my truck even more than how i left it with them, and diagnosed it wrong saying it was a fuse issue. i just did the work myself and replaced both since it was already apart. I do all my own work except for AC until that repair.