Ceramic vs PPF?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

F1502raptor

Reaction score
For preventing rock chips / scratches from bushes while off-roading, which would you pick and why?

I like the idea that ceramic coating would make the vehicle look good all the time but the PPF would be a much better protector

This is on a 14’, paint is in good shape but has some light scratches and a few rock chips

vk35

Reaction score
ceramic coating is really designed to aid in washing your truck where its a lot easier to clean the dirt off your truck and repel water. PPF is for preventing rock chips and scratches. PPF is what you need to prevent scratches while off-roading.

I did both on mine this weekend. I applied PPF on the entire front end and lower sides of the truck. I also applied ceramic coating on the rest of the painted surfaces to help me clean the truck.

raptorsub

Reaction score
I have both. The PPF has saved me from so much damage and scratches. Well worth it especially if you do any off roading. Also the added benefit is I don't worry about scratching it when washing. It can be super dirty or muddy and I just use a brush on a pole to wash it. When it's not super dirty I'll just use some quick detail spray and wipe it down with no worries of scratching the paint. I have the ceramic coat on top of that as an added benefit. Gives it a little extra shine pop. The water just falls off and it keeps stuff from sticking as bad. It doesn't last forever though. I usually put it on about twice a year. One other point on the PPF. You would want to get a full detail and paint correction done before. Because once the PPF is on you can't correct any of that.

Sharpie69

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the PPF put on everything but the roof. PPF was one of the best things I've done to the Raptor. The PPF has taken the hit so many times, if it weren't there it would have been the paint for sure. I'll take the truck in once in a while and have whatever PPF "panels " replaced that have been damaged and it looks like new again. I tell people all the time just how happy I am with having it !!

Kyle@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Some of the newer PPF has water beading technology built in.
I didn’t PPF mine when it was new and wished I did. I PPF’ed the whole front of my wife’s new Tahoe and just use P&S Defender over the top. If you have some light scratches PPF will hide it a little, but you will still see rock chips. I PPF’ed my scratched mirrors and the light scratched you can even see

TOMRAP

Reaction score
ceramic coating is really designed to aid in washing your truck where its a lot easier to clean the dirt off your truck and repel water. PPF is for preventing rock chips and scratches. PPF is what you need to prevent scratches while off-roading.

I did both on mine this weekend. I applied PPF on the entire front end and lower sides of the truck. I also applied ceramic coating on the rest of the painted surfaces to help me clean the truck.
I did the full front but not the lower sides. Do you have an idea of how much it will cost just to do the lower sides?

James Schiff

Reaction score
Honestly, I made the mistake to postopne the PPF, I tried doing it but it was already too late. I can say since the PPF treatment no new scratches appeared

vk35

Reaction score
I did the full front but not the lower sides. Do you have an idea of how much it will cost just to do the lower sides?
I’m not sure on cost since it varies by location and film brand. I actually installed my own PPF as DIY. It wasn’t bad at all since the lower sections are like rectangles and do not require any stretching of the film to install. The PPF comes precut and can be ordered online.

My rough estimate of getting the lower section installed by PPF shop could range from 300-800.