Can't be normal: Transmission makes loud hard shifts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

new raptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 21’ had the same problem took it in two months ago needed a new transmission. They finally got the transmission in today. They said it’ll be ready in one week. My dealer said if any truck is doing that it’s a bad transmission. It’s been sitting there for two months. I have a rental. I just hope this new transmission takes care of it.

benbachh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same issue. I can recreate the issue on command.

I believe the issue on mine is when you’re accelerating and the truck thinks you’re going to need an upshift but you suddenly slow down and the truck then tries to downshift.

I get that clunk noise everyday.
Same on my 17 & 18.

Brought it into the dealership, they replaced some sort of solenoid but still doing the same crap.

OP
OP
I

IamNomad

Reaction score
I have put 500-600 miles on it in normal mode since I noticed the very hard shifts in sport mode. No issue over those miles in normal mode.

Since I really need the room and comfort my pickup affords, I will be gambling taking it on a 2400 miles road trip starting this Sunday.

I've got an appointment to have the transmission looked at later in October after I return. I tried three different Ford dealerships and they were all 3-4 weeks out just to have a transmission tech look at it.

roger7254

Reaction score
I have a 2023 as well,
I cleared my transmission learning table? and disabled adaptive learning, as been great ever since
I followed the same steps with my '23 clearing & disabling adaptive learning, and it definitely made a difference, but I still occasionally get that harsh clunk when stopping quickly at lower speeds. Did the redesigned CDF drum in the '24 models solve this issue?

Donmatteo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have put 500-600 miles on it in normal mode since I noticed the very hard shifts in sport mode. No issue over those miles in normal mode.

Since I really need the room and comfort my pickup affords, I will be gambling taking it on a 2400 miles road trip starting this Sunday.

I've got an appointment to have the transmission looked at later in October after I return. I tried three different Ford dealerships and they were all 3-4 weeks out just to have a transmission tech look at it.
Sport mode needs to learn as well. Drive it like it's in normal mode for 500 miles and it will smooth out. If you're driving like it's a drag race, of course it's going to shift hard.

Daneger

Reaction score
Sport mode needs to learn as well. Drive it like it's in normal mode for 500 miles and it will smooth out. If you're driving like it's a drag race, of course it's going to shift hard.

I’ve noticed this in my 24.

Drive Normal mode nice and easy, and it stays smooth.

If you feel like hauling a$$ reserve that for Sport mode, and it keeps things stable.

When I would drive aggressive in Normal it would thunk, and vice versa in Sport.