Burning smell after Off roading

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

knine

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Got this smell tonight after a hard little romp offroad. Smelled like burning plastic.

Irunone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Noticed burning plastic smell outside of my truck a few weeks ago after having been in 4H and having driven for about a half hour through deep snow. It’s a ‘10, 6.2. Couldn’t find anything wrong. Truck sat for 5 days over Xmas and when I took it out I noticed approx 5-6oz of reddish fluid on garage floor. At first, remembering power steering fluid leaks people have had, I thought it was probably power steering fluid coming from one of the hoses or such. Hoses and connectors intact but tranny pan wet- more so in back- and ATF noticed on exhaust. Brought to Ford for service and tech infomed me tranny fluid leaking probably from electrical connector O rings- I found (TSB 11-3-25 - Transmission bulkhead connector sleeve leaking transmission fluid) from forum search. Awaiting parts so I can bring in for repair. Haven’t done any more aggressive driving this past week and so far no more ATF on floor and no burning smell. Aside from hoping the underside of my truck doesn’t decide to spontaneously combust from fluid leaking onto the exhaust, I’m questioning if anyone else with the burning smell has checked for/found tranny fluid leak to be problem, part of it, or if this is a something totally different??

ITSALLGOOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ditto !

Noticed burning plastic smell outside of my truck a few weeks ago after having been in 4H and having driven for about a half hour through deep snow. It’s a ‘10, 6.2. Couldn’t find anything wrong. Truck sat for 5 days over Xmas and when I took it out I noticed approx 5-6oz of reddish fluid on garage floor. At first, remembering power steering fluid leaks people have had, I thought it was probably power steering fluid coming from one of the hoses or such. Hoses and connectors intact but tranny pan wet- more so in back- and ATF noticed on exhaust. Brought to Ford for service and tech infomed me tranny fluid leaking probably from electrical connector O rings- I found (TSB 11-3-25 - Transmission bulkhead connector sleeve leaking transmission fluid) from forum search. Awaiting parts so I can bring in for repair. Haven’t done any more aggressive driving this past week and so far no more ATF on floor and no burning smell. Aside from hoping the underside of my truck doesn’t decide to spontaneously combust from fluid leaking onto the exhaust, I’m questioning if anyone else with the burning smell has checked for/found tranny fluid leak to be problem, part of it, or if this is a something totally different??

While trying to find out where the hell the popping noise from the front axle/ or hubs while driving in 4x4high was coming from under my truck I noticed some smoke coming from exhaust right below the rear of the trans pan , it looked wet like it was leaking as you described in your thread . Nice , two issues to figure out all in one day . Lol :emotions133:

pat'sRAPTOR

FRF Addict
Reaction score
it's probably the power steering fluid burning lol. that's why the power steering pumps whine like crazy after any mild offroading.

And this is why I har a power steering resevior haha I dot have any burning smells caused power steering fluid stays inside where it belongs lol

Mil T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've also had a smell when I put it in 4 wheel drive and drive for a little while. It smells like diff fluid or the grease that is in the front driveshaft to differential area. I"ve looked but can't find anything. I have an RPG reservoir ordered but they are having production problems with them.
I'm glad to hear that others have the smell also. First 4 wheel drive I have ever had that smells like it does when in 4 wheel drive.
Mil T