Burning smell after Off roading

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pwjstruebig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It snowed like 6-8 Inches so I decided to take my '11 out for a first time test run in the snow. Super fun!! But the next morning my brakes froze over and I couldn't stop while going down my drive! This is understandable due to it being in single digits temp wise and snow melting and freezing on my brakes but while sitting in my truck with the heat on there was a wierd smell like burning marshmallows or something "sweet". I opened the hood and the radiator was hot and smoking a little but that seemed to be just water burning off. Just making sure its nothing big any info will help!!

DRTDINO

Reaction score
Ok, something is up with these trucks... I had the same exact description of smell when I was offroad. It smells like a bag melting to the exhaust. I have had many trucks and been off road many times and never got a smell...Maybe a plastic shield on the underside hit against the exhaust or something...

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
it's probably the power steering fluid burning lol. that's why the power steering pumps whine like crazy after any mild offroading.

comagt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I notice the same smell after a lot of 1-2 gear high rpm driving. I expect it with a new motor and all the shiny metal breaking in. However, it should be gone after 7200miles. I thought about taking a infrared themormeter and checking different areas for heat differences.