Big project/fix planned for this week

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

Davez134

Reaction score
Lookin good!

For access you just jacked up the front, removed wheels, wheel liners and that's it?
For access, yes. Wheels, fender flares, liners. It's alot of work to get the job done though. I usually pay for the 72 hour subscription to the Ford factory service manual and download/save what I need. It's like $20 for 3 days and you can save everything you need to PDF.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Davez134

Reaction score
All wrapped up. Had a hell of a time getting the turbo back in on the passenger side. If I had to do it again, I would remove the downpipes.
IMG_2297.jpg
IMG_2302.jpg
I'm leaving the fender wells and trim off dor a couple days just in case I need to address any oil/coolant leaks. I shouldn't since I used all new orings and seals. Not sure if I'm a fan of the BOV yet. May go back to the stock one. I'll give it a few more days. This thing is so quiet now. I was so used to the sound of that exhaust leak (even though I wasnt exactly sure what I was hearing) If this doesn't fix my P0299/limp mode issues I'm getting rid of it!
IMG_2304.jpg

OP
OP
D

Davez134

Reaction score
It feels like a different truck now. Quiet at idle, smooth even acceleration. No drips of oil/coolant after a day of driving it around in this Vegas heat. I never thought an exhaust leak could make that much of a difference. (Wish I would have known that was the issue months ago!) Mentally, I still need a week of no problems to feel like I'm done.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score
good on you for doing that all yourself... congrats on a job well done.

so there was noises at idle? im going to look at my exhaust studs this weekend.. 70K, but not looking forward to a project like this..

OP
OP
D

Davez134

Reaction score
good on you for doing that all yourself... congrats on a job well done.

so there was noises at idle? im going to look at my exhaust studs this weekend.. 70K, but not looking forward to a project like this..
Thanks! Yes, I heard a ticking sound at idle that got better as the motor got to temp. I heard a "rattle like sound" at full throttle as well the first few times I got on it. I thought it might be IWE related. I didnt think exhaust leak until I Got an under boost code and saw a video that had the same sound I was hearing. You should be able to see a snapped stud. It usually happens at the rear, which is easily visible through the fender well.

Last edited:

scpete24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Job well done. I have a ticking sound at startup as well and will need to take a look. Like you I got a new long block under warranty after a botched cam phaser job sent the timing guide bolt through my engine...

OP
OP
D

Davez134

Reaction score
Road tests have all been good so far so I decided to finish up by changing the diff fluids. Rear was weird. I never noticed it before, but the metal ring that I have seen before between the cover and the case was installed on the outside of the cover??? And there was grey sealant between. Must have been done already (I’m the second owner) There were no leaks and fluid and internal look good so no big deal. Anyway, cleaning the surfaces up and will install with a lube locker gasket tomorrow.IMG_2316.jpg
IMG_2317.jpg

Last edited:

Waterfowler41

Reaction score
For access, yes. Wheels, fender flares, liners. It's alot of work to get the job done though. I usually pay for the 72 hour subscription to the Ford factory service manual and download/save what I need. It's like $20 for 3 days and you can save everything you need to PDF.

I'm about to tackle a body panel project and was considering buying the 72 hour license. I see you can add it to cart but when do I put the VIN in or does the license include access to EVERYTHING? Trying to figure out how to remove the fenders/headlights.

Thanks!

OP
OP
D

Davez134

Reaction score
I'm about to tackle a body panel project and was considering buying the 72 hour license. I see you can add it to cart but when do I put the VIN in or does the license include access to EVERYTHING? Trying to figure out how to remove the fenders/headlights.

Thanks!
From what I remember you get access to everything for 3 days. And, you can save whatever you want to pdf or print. I saved everything I could think of that I would ever need to do with my truck.