Baker Motorsports "Dovetail" Rear End and Bumper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptizzle

FYT
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know, I saw a truck with the back end done like yours yesterday when I was down in huntington beach and I thought it looked really good. It may have been raptizzle's truck by the look of it. Not sure though.

It was either me or the other Baker built truck because we ran into each other yesterday in HB. Small world!

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
Raptizzle said:
It was either me or the other Baker built truck because we ran into each other yesterday in HB. Small world!

You happen to see an orange SCab with led lights on hood mounts around 11am or so?

Raptizzle

FYT
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You happen to see an orange SCab with led lights on hood mounts around 11am or so?

Don't recall but raptors have become about as popular as range rover sports around these parts. :) The hood mount lights would've stood out though...

Aaron

Meme Corps Commandant
Reaction score
Raptizzle said:
Don't recall but raptors have become about as popular as range rover sports around these parts. :) The hood mount lights would've stood out though...

Ha guess we'll never know. There is a ton of raps sown there though. I saw like 5-6 and on a normal day in phx I don't see any really.

Back to BigJ's normally scheduled thread though.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Looks much better with the receiver mounted plate. I don't really like the look of this honestly, but if it's functional for your needs, then more power to you.

Although, I'm curious about how beneficial departure angle is on a truck that's built for jumping...I understand approach angle, but won't the truck be airborne anyway?

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Deep breaths Rug, deep breaths :)

I'm not happy about losing the spare. Not even a little bit.

But this mod is so worth it for me. No more draggin ass. I hate draggin ass. Losing the spare in exchange for 2x the departure angles is an easy trade to make, for those of us who need the clearance. So yeah, its both great and fantastic!! :ROFLJest:

As for the spare, there's an opportunity here to solve another long term problem I've had: what to do with my jerry cans? I HATE carrying them like I'm currently carrying them. Hitch carrier or bed rack... either way I'll be killing two birds, so again its not the end of the world this spare issue has forced my hand into some sort of solution.

I wouldn't call this a "problem". Its an opportunity :)

Big J, you're right. I've taken a few good, deep breaths now. Whew, that's better!

So my only thought is that your rear angle of departure problem could have been solved in less than 5 minutes and for free by removing the spare. Doing that would have put you exactly were you are now - with a better angle of departure and wondering what to do with the spare, but with $1300 in your wallet to spend on the spare tire problem. AND, you could put the spare back under the truck if you wanted to.

There, I feel much better now. Thanks!

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Big J, you're right. I've taken a few good, deep breaths now. Whew, that's better!

So my only thought is that your rear angle of departure problem could have been solved in less than 5 minutes and for free by removing the spare. Doing that would have put you exactly were you are now - with a better angle of departure and wondering what to do with the spare, but with $1300 in your wallet to spend on the spare tire problem. AND, you could put the spare back under the truck if you wanted to.

There, I feel much better now. Thanks!
Haha its all good Rug. :peace:

But, dropping the spare as you suggest wouldn't have solved the problem. You can see why by running a quick test: grab a long stick or long handled tool. I used a shovel. Take it out to your Raptor and lightly jamb one end under the rear facing side of a rear tire. Now lift and angle it up until you can't any more. That's one of your rear departure angles. What's it hitting? Not the spare, right?

Now do the same thing again, but this time start in the middle of the truck. I used a tape measure to go between the rear sides of the rear tires (parallel to the axle) to give me a straight line, so I didn't have to guess. Lift up... what do ya hit? Again, not the spare.

The OEM bumper is the limiting factor on the sides and receiver hitch is in the middle. It need to be removed or remounted way higher. This mod does the latter.

Oh and don't forget my stuff was trashed from a minor fender bender anyway, so it was a decision between using the insurance money to go back to stock, or use it to make this improvement. For me and my purposes, the choice was pretty obvious.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Although, I'm curious about how beneficial departure angle is on a truck that's built for jumping...I understand approach angle, but won't the truck be airborne anyway?
I'm not exactly sure how to answer that. I guess all I can tell ya is over the slow gnarly stuff its all about approach and departure angles, and the lines open to ya are based on both.

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gotta agree BigJ. My hitch/tow hooks always get hit and drag when dropping off stuff. My spare has never gotten hit. It's going to be worse with my new lower rear ride hieght. Might be doing a bumper like yours sooner than planned.