Any armchair mechanics out there? Dealership is stumped.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

XSTNKT

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My initial thought was that it was coming from the driver side transmission tunnel, since I can feel the vibration in the floorboard. However, now I’m thinking it’s from under the hood.

I just took a drive in my ‘17 3.5 and swear I got it to do a mild version of that sound by heavy throttle…zero throttle…ease back on. The only common moving part is the 10R80, so now I’m wondering if it could be that (or flywheel)?
Left field question: Have you checked all the skid plate bolts? It sounds like a vibration more than a grinding noise, at least from the video.

OP
OP
NoharmnoFAL

NoharmnoFAL

Reaction score
I have not, but that’s something I should probably look at.

The issue is that I think it’s tied to performance. I can duplicate it every time by doing what I did in the video, but sometimes it’ll do it with heavy throttle only. It’ll reach red line, and instead of up-shifting, it’ll hang out around redline for a couple seconds, then make that noise. Every time it’s done that (5 or 6 times maybe). I immediately let off the throttle, but you can feel it lose power, almost like a limp mode.

XSTNKT

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have not, but that’s something I should probably look at.

The issue is that I think it’s tied to performance. I can duplicate it every time by doing what I did in the video, but sometimes it’ll do it with heavy throttle only. It’ll reach red line, and instead of up-shifting, it’ll hang out around redline for a couple seconds, then make that noise. Every time it’s done that (5 or 6 times maybe). I immediately let off the throttle, but you can feel it lose power, almost like a limp mode.
You mentioned that you can FEEL it. That tells me it's something resonating off the chassis somewhere. I had a BMW with an aftermarket exhaust that did that once. It turned out I had an exhaust hanger too close to the frame and under load, the pipe would make contact and send a vibration through the chassis. Not saying that's it, but it might be something like that. Who knows. Like I said, it could be literally anything.

ams mike

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a dyno near you? I used to run a dyno at my shop and helped many times to figure out where the noise/issues are coming from. I also understand there is a cost involved and well...Ford needs to get this figured out but if you keep getting nowhere with them, this is an option.

Hope you get it sorted out!

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Has anyone with a lowly V6TT Raptor done the same thing? I'll try it out later today with mine just for fun - full throttle is always exciting.

spack

Reaction score
Unlikely I suppose but…. I guess I would turn A/C off and make sure power steer fluid level is correct. Get some rotating things out of the equation. Long shot..

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, I’ve had this issue since the first week of ownership, and it’s got 5,000mi so far. It’s been at the dealership a week now, and they’re no closer to figuring it out.

I saw two members here that described the same symptoms, but I’m not sure if they’re related.

I can get it to make an awful grinding noise two ways. The first is to go WOT, and 25% of the time, it’ll fizzle out near red line and make that grinding noise. The other way, which I can duplicate 90% of the time is by giving it mild throttle, followed by backing off and then giving it a minimal amount of throttle.

Out of desperation, I reached out to Whipple. I shared the video below and they said either the exhaust valves or the SC pulley clutch. I don’t think it’s the valves since it does affect power.

Any guesses?
So to clarify, you have a Whipple S/C installed then?

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Has anyone with a lowly V6TT Raptor done the same thing? I'll try it out later today with mine just for fun - full throttle is always exciting.
I've been blowing out the turbos for a little while now, no grinding noise here. Good luck solving the issue and I'll be looking Forward to reading about the resolution.