Any armchair mechanics out there? Dealership is stumped.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NoharmnoFAL

Reaction score
So, I’ve had this issue since the first week of ownership, and it’s got 5,000mi so far. It’s been at the dealership a week now, and they’re no closer to figuring it out.

I saw two members here that described the same symptoms, but I’m not sure if they’re related.

I can get it to make an awful grinding noise two ways. The first is to go WOT, and 25% of the time, it’ll fizzle out near red line and make that grinding noise. The other way, which I can duplicate 90% of the time is by giving it mild throttle, followed by backing off and then giving it a minimal amount of throttle.

Out of desperation, I reached out to Whipple. I shared the video below and they said either the exhaust valves or the SC pulley clutch. I don’t think it’s the valves since it does affect power.

Any guesses?

OP
OP
NoharmnoFAL

NoharmnoFAL

Reaction score
Yes, Storm Trooper’s saga is the only thing remotely close to what I’m experiencing. Weeks of searching yielded very little.

I just got a text from the GM and it sounds like Ford engineering is getting involved tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

In the meantime, I’m getting to make up lost time in my Gen 2, which ironically, went into a brief limp mode and gave me a check engine light. My Gen 2 is a whole other story of an issue that my dealership can’t quite figure out.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
So, I’ve had this issue since the first week of ownership, and it’s got 5,000mi so far. It’s been at the dealership a week now, and they’re no closer to figuring it out.

I saw two members here that described the same symptoms, but I’m not sure if they’re related.

I can get it to make an awful grinding noise two ways. The first is to go WOT, and 25% of the time, it’ll fizzle out near red line and make that grinding noise. The other way, which I can duplicate 90% of the time is by giving it mild throttle, followed by backing off and then giving it a minimal amount of throttle.

Out of desperation, I reached out to Whipple. I shared the video below and they said either the exhaust valves or the SC pulley clutch. I don’t think it’s the valves since it does affect power.

Any guesses?
Arm chair mechanic here.

Engine vacuum decreases with load and RPM, maybe the IWE is trying to engage the front hubs due to low vacuum. May be a vacuum leak?

Is it the same in all wheel drive?

OP
OP
NoharmnoFAL

NoharmnoFAL

Reaction score
Arm chair mechanic here.

Engine vacuum decreases with load and RPM, maybe the IWE is trying to engage the front hubs due to low vacuum. May be a vacuum leak?

Is it the same in all wheel drive?
I’ve duplicated it in 2nd and 4A, regular and sport mode, and in all of the exhaust modes.

The IWE was my first suspect, but it doesn’t sound like the IWE issue on my ‘17. Plus, I thought I read that the Gen 3+ had an electronic system now?

Edit- I haven’t tried it in 4Hi and now I’m wondering if I should lol.

OP
OP
NoharmnoFAL

NoharmnoFAL

Reaction score
It sounds a lot like someone rounding off the head of a hex bolt with a socket chucked in a drill, or even the sound that a screw gun clutch makes.

XSTNKT

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ooof that's a bad sound. Yikes. It could be so many things. Don't even know where to start.

Any idea of a general area where the sound is coming from? Almost sounds like it's inside the cabin but can't tell from the video.

OP
OP
NoharmnoFAL

NoharmnoFAL

Reaction score
My initial thought was that it was coming from the driver side transmission tunnel, since I can feel the vibration in the floorboard. However, now I’m thinking it’s from under the hood.

I just took a drive in my ‘17 3.5 and swear I got it to do a mild version of that sound by heavy throttle…zero throttle…ease back on. The only common moving part is the 10R80, so now I’m wondering if it could be that (or flywheel)?