Any advice before I take the truck to someone?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
SCAR911

SCAR911

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about _your_ relay? Up fitter 5 is like 5 or 10 amps tops. You’re not running a compressor off up fitter 5 with no relay are you?
To quote Noah @The Car Stereo Company : “Only you can prevent truck fires"
I don't know shit about electrical. It was all done before I bought that truck. I wouldn't even know how to check it with all this wiring. Truck has a air comp, chase rack, lights, retractable side boards, winch, amp, stereo, ****** radar detector.....just shit all over.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Also found this. 40amp fuse for what I think it running board lights.
View attachment 468518View attachment 468519

JAYZUS!!!!

40a would need 10ga. multi-strand feed. If you fried that 40a fuse and heat damaged the housing, something is very wrong in that circuit.

I don't know shit about electrical. It was all done before I bought that truck.
Did you buy it for $30k in “like new” condition from a guy named Moe?

I wouldn't even know how to check it with all this wiring. Truck has an air comp, chase rack, lights, retractable side boards, winch, amp, stereo, ****** radar detector.....just shit all over.
Do the retractable side boards really draw that much power ? I’ve never had them so needing to know for what’s next.
This would be a very pricey diagnosis, so I strongly recommend you brush up on auto electric. If things were done to some sort of standard, red should go to positive, black should go to ground; negative. You could see that kind of damage in a circuit that is overtaxed or that’s damaged.

one at a time, trace your wires from home runs(battery) to the accessories. Your air compressor is almost certainly using a relay. I have a Viair rated for 33’s and it’s a solid 20a draw and it’s not even that big.

I spy some 2ga. or larger going into the big fuse block, some 8 gauge, a couple B/D harnesses - probably 15 or 20 amp, and that red fuse holder looks like it could be 10ga.
you should definitely familiarize yourself with where things go.

the blown fuse, do not reconnect that.
1- make sure you have power on the other side- going to the battery. trace the red wire coming out of there to the accessory. Look for a loose connection, bare wire, broken wire, etc. that will also cause an overheat and blow the fuse.

OP
OP
SCAR911

SCAR911

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may have a buddy who knows a guy who could look all over it. Despite working in this manner for years, I prob need it checked over.

As far as the running boards, I removed them but left the wire as it was tied into the AMP lights. It's actually a connector that runs to the OBD port.