Anecdotal Cam Phaser Noise as it relates to oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Got it. So you seem to also not really know how plastic is derived from oil. They don’t just stir it together in a pot, let it cool and “BOOM PLASTIC”

Best of luck with your ill founded conceptions.

Even with a photo of the failed plastic part in front of you, you still can't accept the fact a metal part is better?

Her dee der- lets go mix up some plastic.....

letsgetthisdone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mr Geoff over at full race builds these trucks into high performance beasts, he’s adding stress that factory parts were never designed for. Specifically, the increase hp/tq increases the engine rate of acceleration, which inceases the slack on the “pushed” side of a timing chain, so the tensioner works harder to maintain tension. Then you whack the throttle shut and all the push goes away, the slack side of the chain the tensioner was just shoving into gets tight, so it momentarily shoves the guide into the tensioner, much harder than what a stock engine would do. So I could see this happening over time.

Conversely, we have @FordTechOne who doesn’t see this issue ever because he works at a dealer and likely at most sees truck with basic bolt on mods and a tune at most.

But yeah, the part is junk

Last edited:

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Plastic is good !

Until it isn’t.
I can still remember both of my Olds 455’s spitting the plastic cam gear plastic tooth covering out into the oil pan;
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/small-blocks-3/infamous-neoprene-timing-gear-141151/ for an example.

I realize we’re talking about vehicles built 50 years apart, and yeah 50+ years of better build quality, material design, etc. As previously stated, if the Jen Too design was great, why change it to metal in the Jen Tres?

Geoff is probably encountering failures on a faster onset than Ford’s engineers are.

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even with a photo of the failed plastic part in front of you, you still can't accept the fact a metal part is better?

Her dee der- lets go mix up some plastic.....
Things slow in the Gen 1 forums?

You don’t have to answer, we already know. But keep bringing up non-issues to justify your insecurities, everyone sees right through your trolling.